Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 3.0 still slow....

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Firefox 3.0 still slow....

I know this has been covered in many threads relating to FF2 and Gusty. But I had hoped the dreadful slowness of Firefox in Ubuntu when compared to the speed of the software in ******* would be solved in the FF3(Beta) and Hardy releases. However if anything after upgrading to Hardy yesterday including the Beta5 of FF3 if anything FF is slower than FF2 was in Gusty. It appears to load the first 80% of a page and then slow right down as it loads the last 20% (if you can trust the status bar indicator) no matter whether the page is just text or image heavy it takes just as long. Even with the standard tweaks like IPv6 etc, it is still slow.

Is there any hope that Firefox in Linux will live up to the reputation it deserves for being a fantastic browser under ******* or is it time to give up on FF and try a different browser? It would be a shame to give up on FF as I particularly like the configurability of Firefox and have been using it since the early Betas of FF1.0.

Thanks

Kneewax
    I'm not flat, the band is sharp
    - Frank Sinatra

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Firefox 3.0 still slow....

yet to install 8.04 , and Im SAD to hear that.

Beans

I personally use Swiftweasel, which is Firefox compiled with different options and with non-free images stripped out. Don't know if that'll help you at all.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I still have yet to install the new 8.04 but one of my good friends has, i can see if he's had any problems with his firefox. I have recently used swiftweasel and it works great for me, also I would recommend swiftfox if you end up giving up on firefox.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    EPIC FAIL
    Quote Originally Posted by daengbo View Post
    Are you using Ubuntu?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface1969 View Post
    No I'm not.. Should I be? What is Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

about it swiftweasel, is the flash as slow as in firefox?

Beans

The nice thing about swiftfox/swiftweasel is that they truly *are* firefox, so you don't lose the extensibility. I find Opera and Kazehakase to be very nice browsers, but they don't allow me to do all the things my add-ons do.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

I've always found it to be a bit painfully slow. I'm going to try using epiphany for a while, but I think there's quite a few firefox features I'll miss. For a start I like the fact that firefox could spell check what I'm writing right now, and also I love no script It is so so much faster though, I guess thats the price you pay though - the more features there are the more bloat you get.

Edit: I've found a benefit to using epiphany - it breaks facebook chat
    Last edited by mister_pink; April 25th, 2008 at 08:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Is this a 32-bit issue? On 64-bit at least Firefox/Swiftweasel was never slow for me,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mister_pink View Post
    I guess thats the price you pay though - the more features there are the more bloat you get.
    True, although you'd think the same bloat problems would be prevalent in ******* too, since FF is ostensibly the same in both - particularly as ******* does all that annoying stuff with DLLs - but FF works a treat over there.

I have always tried to be lean with the extensions I use for this very reason. It seems a shame that one of Open Sources flagship applications doesn't work very well on the flagship OS!

Oh-hum!
    I'm not flat, the band is sharp
    - Frank Sinatra

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This could be adding to the problem, it was identified in development.

If you check top you'll no if it's going on.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=759673

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast