Thread: Sony laptop memory stick problem with ubuntu

Beans

Sony laptop memory stick problem with ubuntu

I am a new ubuntu user and I installed 8.04 with almost no problems EXCEPT: I cannot get ubuntu to recognize my memory stick or my built in SD card reader. I cannot find a thread regarding this problem, and I was hoping someone else had experienced the same problem.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Sony laptop memory stick problem with ubuntu

well, this topic has lots of threads. There's no kernel support for built-in card readers to work with MS cards (only SD cards). Someone has to code the drivers for them and include them in a new kernel. That's the bad news.
    The good one is that USB card readers are fully supported.

We'll have to wait.
    Cheers.
    /**HP Pavilion DV6646us laptop: AMD 1.9 GHz Turion 64 X2 / 2Gb RAM / 160Gb HDD / NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M / 15.4" WXGA / BroadCom BCM4328 wireless / Built-in webcam **/
    -- Kubuntu 9.04, CentOs 5.2, Mikrotik RouterOS 3.3 User -- Argentina LoCo Team

Beans

Sergiom99:

Thanks for your reply; I just tried the SD card in a USB converter and it worked just fine. I hope someone will code the drivers for the MS as the sony laptops are worth supporting. I really like Ubuntu so far and have been successfull in avoiding windows for almost two weeks now. I feel like I have successfully completed a transition from Windblows

Thanks again!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

you're welcome.
    Good luck!
    /**HP Pavilion DV6646us laptop: AMD 1.9 GHz Turion 64 X2 / 2Gb RAM / 160Gb HDD / NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M / 15.4" WXGA / BroadCom BCM4328 wireless / Built-in webcam **/
    -- Kubuntu 9.04, CentOs 5.2, Mikrotik RouterOS 3.3 User -- Argentina LoCo Team