Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Screen Resolution

Beans

Re: Screen Resolution

Quote Originally Posted by tckrockz View Post
    whats the version of drivers ur using? i dont have that option :S
    nvidia-glx-new
    NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'new' driver 169.12

BTW, where are these function of 7.10 located in 8.04??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by samzhu168 View Post
    nvidia-glx-new
    NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'new' driver 169.12

BTW, where are these function of 7.10 located in 8.04??
    i m using the same version but nothing helps i tired to use a older version lets see if it helps

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I'm having the same problems, which sucks... only I have two identical monitors, one it detects correctly at 1024x768 and the other it doesn't and set it to 640x480.

Thought maybe it was dependent on which connector it was connected to (the vga, or the vga through vga to dvi converter). Tried that, and still same issue. Meaning I tried the monitor that doesn't work in both connectors, restarted x, and each time detected as a crt monitor with a max res of 640x480.

Then tried the other one through each connector, restarted x, and each time it was correctly detected as 1024x768. It's making me think it's my other monitor that's the problem... but then again... in feisty, gutsy, windows, etc. it detected it fine.

I've submitted a bug report, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/221648, although so for it's pretty specific to my issues, maybe others can add there experiences.

Beans

Question Re: Screen Resolution

I am also having problems with screen resolution. I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my MacBook Pro via VMWare Fusion. I had somehow set my screen resolution to 1280x960 (I think) and it was working fine. Yesterday I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 (very slow, like 14 hours), and at first it kept my screen resolution as I had it. Then suddenly it switched to 640x480 which is very small. When I go to System>Preferences>Screen Resolution I cannot see the bottom of the new box to click "Save". I have tried everything I know of to try to resize the box. Admittedly, I am not all that tech savy, so I would really appreciate some help. 640x480 is too small of a screen. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had this same problem, with the "Hardware Drivers" box saying "not in use". It turned out that when I enabled the driver, it actually gave up on downloading it because the servers are so overloaded right now. The only thing I did was "sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new", but I had to do it over and over again before I could luck out and get into the queue (and that's with the Canadian servers, the US ones didn't respond at all). Once the driver actually downloaded and installed, I just rebooted and I automatically had 1680x1050 (no nvidia-settings or anything required).

It's entirely possible that you guys have more serious problems, but maybe check and see if the nvidia driver is actually installed - it may not have finished downloading due to the server overload.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Curtisc View Post
    It's entirely possible that you guys have more serious problems,
    Looks like it's a general problem with NVidia and 8.04
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766515

Beans

I had the same resolution problem with the Nvidia drivers. I could only go to 640-480 max. I finally fixed it by running "sudo displayconfig-gtk" from a terminal and selecting the correct monitor. Apparently in my case, Ubuntu did not detect the monitor.

Beans

maybe i find out a solution:
    1, switch to recovery mode from the grub menu
    2, use the command: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, it will let u select many options, i just enter the default but the screen resolution i select 1024x768.
    3,reboot to normal
    4,enable nvidia driver(reboot)
    5,I got 800x600, do not worry, go system-preference-screen resolution, turn to 1027x768, then log out, got 1027x768.
    6, go system-administration-nvidia X-server-settings, u can use, for me,1440*900, 1280*800. BUT, when i log out,it will back to 1024*768, every time i need do the 6th step to use 1280*800 since i get a widescreen. if anybody can help with this??

PS. yesterday i even got the 1400*900 in nvidia X-server-settings, but now it's gone, so bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by samzhu168; April 26th, 2008 at 12:45 AM.

Beans

See my solution in the following thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765581

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I reinstalled ubuntu few mins ago and everything seems to be working fine yayy....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast