Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cannot play mp3's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: cannot play mp3's

Not sure how to help with all the issues, but you may need this package for audio to work with Adobe Flash streams:

sudo apt-get install libflashsupport

Did you guys perform a fresh Hardy install, or a system upgrade? Also, many of these teething problems will be fixed in 8.04.1. Hardy is a significant update and contains many changes (rewritten code, PulseAudio, Xserver/Xorg etc).

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've got it fresh installed on my desktop (still updating the codecs, etc) and upgraded on the laptop. I tried the flash update you mentioned - no dice. I ran the restricted whosawatchit and that came back as up to date.
    Any idea on how long the 8.04.1 is going to take? (He asks with his tongue firmly implanted in his cheek, and tapping his toe rapidly)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Not sure how to help with all the issues, but you may need this package for audio to work with Adobe Flash streams:

sudo apt-get install libflashsupport

Did you guys perform a fresh Hardy install, or a system upgrade? Also, many of these teething problems will be fixed in 8.04.1. Hardy is a significant update and contains many changes (rewritten code, PulseAudio, Xserver/Xorg etc).

Nathan
    I'm going to install the libflassupport, but I'm not sure that is going to solve my problem with the sound files. Personally, I performed a system upgrade straight from the update manager. All my sound was working correctly in Gutsy, and then when I restarted my computer and tried to play sound files, none of them worked. I thought it was an mp3 problem since Automatix isn't supported anymore, but when I tried getting the restricted drivers and Medibuntu it still didn't work. I hear sound for almost everything but music and videos, so I'm not sure what my problem is.

Hopefully 8.04.1 can fix these issues. Otherwise, I like Heron so far...especially the USB support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The 8.04.1 update will be released in June I think and there may be a .2 update thereafter. The libflashsupport package enables Adobe Flash to utilise PulseAudio, from what I understand. I'm surprised it's not a dependency like the Alsa library package was.

Until I know more about certain issues cropping up, all I can do is point you to the how-to in my sig, Anything helpful I discover will be added to the troubleshooting section, or maybe more edits for Hardy will be made.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

To the original poster enable the universe, restricted repos, update then install all the gstreamer plugins, ugly etc.
    Rhythymbox uses gstreamer to playback audio, stuff like wma aac and mp3 will not play by default unless the correct gstreamer plugins are installed.
    On no audio in flash problem of the other poster did you enable the restricted and universe repos and installed flash non-free plugin for firefox?
    Its in the repos.
    Make sure the gnash plugin is not installed if both are installed together then flash will not work correctly.

Beans

i officially have sound in all aspects.

thanks for all the help guys!

Beans

First off... I'd like to apologize to the Ubuntu dev'rs about my Hardy Vista wisecracks... It just took a little searching and ingenuity (just like back-in-the-day from 0.99.2 'til version 2) to get sound working again on my Lenovo 3000 N200... And... Everything just seems to work a little better ('specially now that compiz fusion and any GL based app are playing nice together)...

Great job guys

And thanks for making me tweak like I used to... It brought back the warm fuzzy feelings after the frustration was over to get it working the way it's supposed to and the way I wanted it to...

A day without tunes though... I barely survived... lol...

Though I'm still puzzled as to why sound in Gutsy worked off the first install... Oh well... Now I can get back to coding my GTK based Atari .ATR editor...

edit:

Sound with the 'ol '80s Star Wars rom in Xmame is still choppy... My P166MMX handled that perfectly... funny this doesn't... oh well...
    Last edited by omicrondelta; April 26th, 2008 at 10:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

My sound magically works again. It seems more permanent (i.e. a day), so I'm not sure what happened again. Hopefully it will keep working. Unless it stops working again, I'll consider this problem solved and I'd like to thank everyone for their time.

Beans

Hi I had the same problem too and your advice solved it. I just wanted to thank you.
    T H A N K Y O U V E R Y M U C H ! ! !

nike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123