Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cannot play mp3's

Beans

Unhappy cannot play mp3's

I just installed Ubuntu 8.04. This is my first time on Linux and I have no idea what I am doing.

I imported all of my mp3 files onto my computer and imported them into Rhythmbox. But when I try to play any file with sound at all, I hear nothing.

I know that my sound card is working, because I can hear music/videos online perfectly.

I have tried VLC, Ryhthmbox, and Movie Player.

Help. Thanks.

Beans

Re: cannot play mp3's

Quote Originally Posted by bakersfield90 View Post
    I just installed Ubuntu 8.04. This is my first time on Linux and I have no idea what I am doing.

I imported all of my mp3 files onto my computer and imported them into Rhythmbox. But when I try to play any file with sound at all, I hear nothing.

I know that my sound card is working, because I can hear music/videos online perfectly.

I have tried VLC, Ryhthmbox, and Movie Player.

Help. Thanks.
    Juste install ubuntu-restricted-extras package.

Open a terminal and enter :

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    And it will be ok.
    Only knowledge will set you free.
    Ubuntu user #3088
    Using Linux-only PC powered since december 2004, Ubuntu user since june 2006.
    Acer Laptop 5520g / Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wish I could prove I love you, but does that mean I have to walk on water?
    When we are older you'll understand it's enough when I say so, and maybe some things are that simple.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

this might be useful to do, and it might fix your problem:
    Code:
    it's a metapackage full of codecs, fonts, flash, etc. Seems like the codecs for mp3 playback aren't installed yet.

*edit* too slow XD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FredB View Post
    Juste install ubuntu-restricted-extras package.

Open a terminal and enter :

Code:
    And it will be ok.
    I have already installed that. Like I said, I CAN hear music/videos online, just not my own mp3/movie files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have the exact same problem...in fact, I had just created a thread for this 4 minutes before this one! I wonder if this is a widespread Heron problem (I upgrade from a working Gutsy).

Beans

Question Re: cannot play mp3's

Quote Originally Posted by bakersfield90 View Post
    I have already installed that. Like I said, I CAN hear music/videos online, just not my own mp3/movie files.
    Strange.

What about your sound settings in volume manager ?

Just guessing to find the answer, of course. Are you mp3 with drm ? Could be an answer here. And what about your movies ? Are they drm free ?
    Only knowledge will set you free.
    Ubuntu user #3088
    Using Linux-only PC powered since december 2004, Ubuntu user since june 2006.
    Acer Laptop 5520g / Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Though I can't speak for Baker, my sound settings in preferences were currently on Autodetect. However, when I tried to "test" them, I couldn't hear any sound. As I went down the list, only two options would make the beeping test sound: Intel ICH6 and ALSA. Unfortunately, even when I set my sound to them, my music players (Amarok and mPlayer) would freeze while trying to play any sound file. In addition, not only can my computer not play DRM-free mp3s, but it can't even play the .ogg in the "Example" folder in Home!

Beans

I think they should call version 8.04 -> Hardy Vista...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by blink0072005 View Post
    Though I can't speak for Baker, my sound settings in preferences were currently on Autodetect. However, when I tried to "test" them, I couldn't hear any sound. As I went down the list, only two options would make the beeping test sound: Intel ICH6 and ALSA. Unfortunately, even when I set my sound to them, my music players (Amarok and mPlayer) would freeze while trying to play any sound file. In addition, not only can my computer not play DRM-free mp3s, but it can't even play the .ogg in the "Example" folder in Home!
    Do you mean you set the sound in gstreamer-properties and gnome-sound-preferences?
    Mplayer have it's own settings. In gmplayer (gui version) you set it under preferences --> audio, and in mplayer (no gui), you can add the option "ao=alsa" in your ~/.mplayer/config.
    My guess is that you have the same problem I had, where gnome and gstreamer were set to use pulseaudio, pulseaudio tried to acces alsa but couldn't due to a problem in alsa, causing my sound applications to freeze or crash.
    Another symptom of my problem was that I could not run alsamixer (type "alsamixer" in a terminal).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast