Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.04 won't boot

Beans

8.04 won't boot

I have an intel dual core MacBook from last year.

I downloaded ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso, burned it using Toast, and let the verification complete. No problems.

I put the disc in, reset the Mac and hold down the C key. When the computer starts up, it reads the disc for a bit, then resumes booting into OS X.

Did I download the wrong image? Or should I burn with Disk Utility? Or? I can't get the CD to boot.

Beans

Re: 8.04 won't boot

you should download the amd 64 version for that machine. Also, I personally burned mine through disk utility. Had better luck there than I did through Toast for some reason. Hope that helps.

Josh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by piano08man View Post
    you should download the amd 64 version for that machine. Also, I personally burned mine through disk utility. Had better luck there than I did through Toast for some reason. Hope that helps.
    You do not have to use the amd64 version, but you can if you want to.

Burn the slowest possible speed.

Beans

Yep, I get the same non-booting result from the AMD64 iso. I'll try burning at 8x instead of 24x this time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

try burning at 2x

Beans

8X was as low as Disk Utility would allow.

I managed to boot finally. I had to hold down the OPTION key to get the CD to show up as a choice, and then I booted from there. My Mac's been doing that a bit lately. I've been loosing the ability to boot off of Firewire drives unless I hold down the option key. I haven't had trouble booting off of OS X install CDs though by holding down the C key. Weird.

Does that sound like a partition corruption from my last Bootcamp install crash, or a PRAM zap opportunity?

So I'm going to try installing Ubuntu now and see how I fare. I don't know how to use the airport on this Macbook using Ubuntu yet. That's another challenge for another day.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have to hold the [alt] key when my system is booting. Maybe that will work for you?
    Lenovo s10 Netbook: Jaunty
    Desktop: Jaunty amd64

Beans

The CD shows up in the Startup disk part of System prefs now too. All that is solved.

Not that I can get it installed and booting, even with refit.

From the live cd, I used gpartition to create space after my OS X partition, and installed Ubuntu into there. No problems. The installer setup a swap and ext2 space and completes installation.

Then when I rebooted the Mac, I got a black screen saying, "no bootable device found -- insert disc etc."

I rebooted into OS X holding down the option key, installed refit, and rebooted. From the refit screen, I chose the Linux option for my internal HD. It then sat on the grey screen with penguin in the middle indefinitely and didn't boot Ubuntu.

I give up. This is beyond me.

Beans

Did you install the GRUB bootloader onto your ubuntu partition? It's the very last step before ubuntu actually installs. You have to click advanced.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by piano08man View Post
    Did you install the GRUB bootloader onto your ubuntu partition? It's the very last step before ubuntu actually installs. You have to click advanced.
    I noticed it installing GRUB at the end of its install process. It may not have marked the boot partition as bootable.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast