Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 8.04 won't boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 8.04 won't boot

Quote Originally Posted by urschrei View Post
    I've just installed 8.04 on my Powerbook (PPC) from the alternate install CD. Installation appears to have gone smoothly, but my system hangs at boot every time just after returning from prom_init with the following error:

PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0001:10:18:0
    PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0001:10:19:0

There's a faint line across the bottom of the otherwise black screen, but nothing else.
    This was a clean install on a formatted disk, there's nothing else on it.

What do I do now?
    I think you have replied to the wrong thread... this is about Intel Macs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

@darcyb

I was having similar problems. I followed the instructions on this thread and now everything works:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=541902&page=2

Hope you have similar success.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
    This is, leaving out false starts, the process that worked for me:

1.) Install OS X on entire disk.
    2.) Use Boot Camp Assistant to partition drive, making most of the drive empty space for Linux.
    3.) Installed rEFIt.
    4.) Booted from Hardy Live CD.
    5.) Used installer's partitioner to create two partitions, one ext3 mounted at / using all but 512MB (/dev/sda3), and one swap using 512 MB (/dev/sda4).
    6.) At the end of the install, installed the GRUB loader onto /dev/sda3.
    7.) Rebooted into rEFIt, ran Partition Tool, synced tables.
    8.) Rebooted, held Alt/Option, selected "Windows" and booted into Hardy.

I do not believe step #6 was necessary, from what I've read, but it doesn't hurt.
    At step #7, selecting to boot Linux from rEFIt hung on Tux indefinitely.

darcyb, have you tried doing steps #5 through #8 like I did? If not, ignore your concerns about odd partition labels in the GRUB loader dialogue, and give it a try.
    I just wanted to say that ensuring GRUB was on sda3 was what fixed my Ubuntu install for me.

My process:

1. Use OSX Disk Manager to resize OSX partition
    2. Install rEFIt (I had to use the manual method. Auto wasn't working)
    3. Boot to CD/Install Ubuntu
    4. Click advanced at very end of install process to ensure GRUB is installed to sda3
    5. Reboot and sync MBT in rEFIt
    6. DONE!

That fixed it to where the OSX and Linux show up as the two options in rEFIt and selecting Linux booted Ubuntu. No need to hold option. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by FreakinSyco; May 2nd, 2008 at 09:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinSyco View Post
    I just wanted to say that ensuring GRUB was on sda3 was what fixed my Ubuntu install for me.
    Yea, the same issue that was wiping out the MBR table seems to affect grub if it is installed there as well, installing to another location would prevent that.

Beans

I seem to be having a similar problem. I have installed feisty fawn and gutsy gibbon on my macbook before with no problems. With hardy heron though, everything goes smoothly until I actually am ready for to run it and then it doesn't work. Ha.

My process has gone something like this
    1) Boot camp
    2)Live CD, GParted, Delete Partition
    3)Install, Guided - Use Largest Free Space

Installation goes fine and it says my system must now rebtoot, I reboot, hold option key and the only OS my system recognizes is my macintosh one. I am NOT attempting to triple boot and run windows. I've tried several variations of what i listed above, but for the most part it's been that or most likely very comparable methods. Do I really need to use refit? I haven't in the past, I prefer to just use the option key. Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SeeLos View Post
    I seem to be having a similar problem. I have installed feisty fawn and gutsy gibbon on my macbook before with no problems. With hardy heron though, everything goes smoothly until I actually am ready for to run it and then it doesn't work. Ha.

Installation goes fine and it says my system must now rebtoot, I reboot, hold option key and the only OS my system recognizes is my macintosh one. I am NOT attempting to triple boot and run windows. I've tried several variations of what i listed above, but for the most part it's been that or most likely very comparable methods. Do I really need to use refit? I haven't in the past, I prefer to just use the option key. Thanks in advance!
    yes. there is a bug in the hardy installer that wipes out the MBR. You need to rebuild your MBR partition table and possibly reinstall grub. After you get things working you can disable refit if you like.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=767677

Beans

I have a bit of a similar problem. I have been using Gusty and beta Hardy on partitions 5 and 6 respectively on my MBP. I upgraded Gusty on 5 to Hardy and erased partition 6 and installed Xubuntu to it and installed Grub to partition 6. Now I get the gray screen with the penguin with the message 'no operating system found". I have resynched the tables using EFI partitioner but since I am not using the MBR since my partions are in 5 and 6 i am not sure what to do to get Grub to come up again. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hardawayd View Post
    I have a bit of a similar problem. I have been using Gusty and beta Hardy on partitions 5 and 6 respectively on my MBP. I upgraded Gusty on 5 to Hardy and erased partition 6 and installed Xubuntu to it and installed Grub to partition 6. Now I get the gray screen with the penguin with the message 'no operating system found". I have resynched the tables using EFI partitioner but since I am not using the MBR since my partions are in 5 and 6 i am not sure what to do to get Grub to come up again. Any ideas?
    grub has to use the MBR to boot. You need to install grub to one of the first four partitions. Additionally, you could try rebuilding your MBR table to contain the partitions you want as shown in this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=782803

Beans

If Grub has to use MBR to boot then how come my partition 5 and 6 Linux installs were working fine with Gusty until i install xbuntu into partition 6. From early problems with installing on the Mac I had read to stay above partition 4 just so the MBR would not be in play. That seemed to work until my recent install of xbuntu in partition 6 which had Hardy beta before that. I am a little confused here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hardawayd View Post
    If Grub has to use MBR to boot then how come my partition 5 and 6 Linux installs were working fine with Gusty until i install xbuntu into partition 6. From early problems with installing on the Mac I had read to stay above partition 4 just so the MBR would not be in play. That seemed to work until my recent install of xbuntu in partition 6 which had Hardy beta before that. I am a little confused here.
    grub cannot be installed passed partition #4

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast