Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hardy is nothing but trouble

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thumbs down Please don't mark up hardware troubles to quality of release

Ya know,I've got nothing but glowing tributes to even the BETA from all the *buntu users around me.You sure it's not your hardware?Avoid general and sweeping statements like "They should have not released it in this state,I don't consider it final" etc..

Beans

Re: Hardy is nothing but trouble

i KNOW that my Acer Laptop has a few quirks that i need to work around to successfully run any kind of Linux, but this here with Hardy is just plain ridicoulus.
    Mint 4 is not giving me errors, or at least no errors that are showstoppers, i can do whatever i want in Mint, it just works.
    Startup Time (from powering up the Laptop 'till i see the Login) is about two Minutes at max, with the Version of Gutsy i had running that i updated to the then latest Hardy Beta, it took me TEN Minutes just to get to see the Login Screen... i know that it was a Beta back then, but right now i would not risk installing Hardy as the Kernel obviously doesn't like my Laptop... will try again if there is a new release with a new Kernel, otherwise Hardy just isn't for me and i will have to wait 'till the Mint Guys make it usable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

After upgrading to Hardy from Gutsy, only one thing didn't work and that was advanced desktop effects. I'm using an Acer Aspire 5050 and it takes pretty much the same time to load as it did before (I don't know if it's faster or slower since I didn't time either boot time, but the difference isn't apparent either way).
    If your computer can run Gutsy, I see no reason why Hardy will be much of a bother. That being said, if you're happy using and staying with Mint, I don't see why you're so angry towards Hardy (at least you appear to be hosilte, I may be reading your posts incorrectly)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Jadephyre View Post
    They should not have released Hardy in this state as i would not deem that Final...
    You may think they shouldn't have, but quite a few others do. I upgraded both a HP/Compaq nx7400, a Dell desktop, a no-name-build-it-yourself-desktop-acting-as-a-server and a Dell notebook to Hardy in the last couple of days, and if anything, things are running smoother (if that's a word) now than they were before.

So your problem may be extremely specific and would not warrant such a sweeping statement....
    I'm thinking about it

Beans

now don't get me wrong here, i love Ubuntu, i have used Feisty and Gutsy and loved both of them, i just switched to Mint 4 because it came with everything i needed (codecs and stuff) but maybe i would not have switched if i would not have effed up my Gutsy Install somehow.
    Now i would like to use Hardy, and the Beta worked okay, and i don't understand why the Final does not work, or takes a trunkload of time to even boot a Live Environment.

Beans

I've installed Hardy on three totally different PC's, one 32 bit server, one 64 bit laptop and one 64 bit desktop, and they all work fine. Perhaps you have a hardware compatibility problem.
    Registered Linux User # 453200
    Apple iMac 24" 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Superdrive, OSX 10.5 Leopard.

Beans

i guess so but another user has stated that he updated Gutsy to Hardy and it worked, when i did that it didn't really work... and if my Laptop would be defective, then even Mint would not run.
    Anyway, i'll see if i'll get Hardy to run... if not, i will have to wait until Mint 5 sees the light of day which will be based on Hardy... hopefully that will run.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Since you experience the troubles relatively early in the start-up phase, you may also have them in Mint. I don't think they use a different kernel/etc (but I may be wrong). May be worth trying to get this worked out. Did you file a bug report?

Beans

frankly i don't see the point in filing a Bug Report when there are aleady enough that cover the Kernel Thing.
    It depends on the Kernel Mint 5 will use, and i highly doubt that they will use the same Kernel Hardy does after all this trouble.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123