Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Whole Disk Encryption an option on the standard Hardy desktop install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Is Whole Disk Encryption an option on the standard Hardy desktop install?

Just wanted to know if luks whole disk encryption was now an option with the Hardy desktop CD rather than only the alternate install cd??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Is Whole Disk Encryption an option on the standard Hardy desktop install?

have you tried it?

Grab the live cd by torrent, start up vmware/vbox and test it

As far as I know you still need the alternate cd. That's also what the release information suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    have you tried it?

Grab the live cd by torrent, start up vmware/vbox and test it
    Come on...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I've got whole-disk encryption running on my 7.10 install, but I had to install from the alternate. There's a how-to I wrote for Macbook Pros on dual boot encryption here. I definitely think this capability should be moved to the live CD ASAP.
    Ubuntu 13.10x64 on Thinkpad x220 with crypted / and swap

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    I've got whole-disk encryption running on my 7.10 install, but I had to install from the alternate. There's a how-to I wrote for Macbook Pros on dual boot encryption here. I definitely think this capability should be moved to the live CD ASAP.
    Agreed. Encryption is a hot topic and it would be a great "selling point" if Ubuntu would make it easy to set up. I think it's quite some work to put that into the installer though.

Beans
    Distro

Haven't had time to grab the new distro. I guess I was relying on others who had to tell me in an effort of saving time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Hi I just stumbled into this thread, and would like to know a little more. I'm an UbuntuStudio user (which uses the alternate installation method by default). Is it possible to do encryption with UbieStudio? Will it slow the disk access speed down for audio programs etc..?
    What makes a great open source contributor is not primarily the brilliance of their ideas or importance of their bug, but rather their willingness to see it through to success.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

yes, encryption will slow down i/o of the disk....

Beans
    Distro

I wish I knew how much it would slow down I/O -- of course depending on HW, however it would be good if someone provided some benchmarks for this.

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    I wish I knew how much it would slow down I/O -- of course depending on HW, however it would be good if someone provided some benchmarks for this.
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._encrypt&num=1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast