Thread: acer aspire 5100 display issue

Beans

acer aspire 5100 display issue

Hardware: Acer Aspire Laptop 5100-3357
    Specs: 1.5 gig of ram / one big fat partition for linux only, yes I am a newbie learning how to setup Ubuntu

ISSUE: After installation the OS does successfully bootup, but I can't see borizonal the top menu, or the left side launcher menu for more than a split second.

The Left side launcher vertical menu is essentially grayed out, and the top horizontal menu is not viewable, but I can select items such as login, shutdown, volume, etc.. I can also select apps from the vertical launch menu, and I can ATL tab between apps, surf the web, etc...

SO FAR: I tried cranking down the display settings, and I've added all updates from the "App Update" tool.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am sold on the performance and usability of this release, and I would really like to get this system fully operational..

Oddly enough my smaller Acer Aspire 3200 laptop works great with Ub 10.1,10, no display issues, etc...

much appreciated...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: acer aspire 5100 display issue

Have you tried installing 10.04?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

No, I can certainly try that... That's for the response...

The funny thing is that now I am use to the smaller size of the Acer 3624, which also has 10.10, the difference is that everything seems work fine on the smaller Acer: audio, wireless, video, etc...

I'll give this a try...

Beans

Can someone provide a link for 10.04...?

I reinstalled 10.10 on my acer 5100, when I boot up from the 10.10 installation CD I see a fully functioning horizontal bar throughout the installation process, which then is grayed out after installatio and reboot?

Has anyone had success with other revs I'd Ub, or other distro's on a acer 5100?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes: http://www.releases.ubuntu.com/

If you can wait a day, 10.04.2 will be released.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Thanks again, after doing some research I realized that i installed the ubuntu netbook edition on my 17 inch screen acer laptop.

I am downloading the link you provided, and will try the correct desktop installation on the acer 5100.

Beans

10.04 works great...

Thanks Morgaes..., if

Everything works perfectly now that i have installed the correct AMD64, desktop version. I even purchased another 2 gig of ram, I now have 4 gig fully working on the system.

The system monitor shows only 3.6, though I assume the rest is being allocated to video..

This was an interesting/positive experience obtainig free technical support from someone in Iceland... I am in California USA- across the planet

Thanks again...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 10.04 works great...

You are welcome.
    Next time it is perhaps you helping someone unknown overseas...

Beans

Here's the screenshot of the new environment...This will be my new home computer...
    Attached Images Attached Images