Thread: HOWTO: Wacom in 8.04 Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Wacom in 8.04 Hardy

@Bleatlessness
    I'm glad your tablet's working.

@rajivnavada
    The `sudo ./uninstall` command is removing the currently installed version of `wacomcpl`. The `sudo make install` is installing it from the source version you compiled earlier.

Yes, the calibration info is stored in "~/.xinitrc". You can edit the file manually by placing commands in the form of `xsetwacom set DEVICE PARAM VALUE`.

Please send me the output of
    Code:
    xsetwacom list dev
    xidump -l
    @mykes
    Those look fine. Try the instructions I gave to rajivnavada in http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=20

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: Wacom in 8.04 Hardy

Thanks for your reply Neko18. Here is the output from the 2 commands you requested. It seems like I might have done something wrong but I can't figure out what.

When I follow step 19) of the How-To, and then issue the command wacomcpl, I get the blank dialog box like in the screenshot I attached in post #25. At this time if I try "sudo wacdump /dev/input/wacom" I get a nice terminal screen where everything seems to be working great. It seems like wacdump detects everything from the stylus in pen-mode or eraser mode and also I get the line at the top where wacdump shows the input streams etc...

However, when I restart the computer and then issue the command (wacomcpl), I get the dialog box with "pad" listed. Clicking on pad is no use and I can't really do much except exit. Now when I try wacdump, the input stream line does not show and also the different modes of the stylus are not recognized. Almost seems like there is some driver that is conflicting with the wacom driver. Another note here: after running these 2 commands when I make an error in typing in the terminal (anything that normally results in a system beep), X shuts down and I need to re-login.

Sorry for all this rambling but maybe this extra info might help you debug this problem.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Still no change for me come step 17 (relative positioning only when touching surface).
    Come step 21 it's better, with absolute positioning above the surface, but no pressure sensitivity and an empty wacomcpl.

I've got a Bamboo MTE-450.

Result of "lsusb | grep -i wacom":
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 056a:0065 Wacom Co., Ltd
    Other info attached.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by neko18 View Post
    @Bleatlessness
    I'm glad your tablet's working.

@rajivnavada
    The `sudo ./uninstall` command is removing the currently installed version of `wacomcpl`. The `sudo make install` is installing it from the source version you compiled earlier.

Yes, the calibration info is stored in "~/.xinitrc". You can edit the file manually by placing commands in the form of `xsetwacom set DEVICE PARAM VALUE`.

Please send me the output of
    Code:
    xsetwacom list dev
    xidump -l
    @mykes
    Those look fine. Try the instructions I gave to rajivnavada in http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=20
    Awesome. The pen/tablet is now working, but:

I've read reports that the tablet calibration may be off with this patched driver. This can be fixed. If you have this problem, I can step you through calibrating it.
    (the calibration is way off - maybe 200 pixels to the right and too low)

xsetwacom list dev:
    Synaptics Touch Pad

xidump -l
    xidump: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory.

wacomcpl gives me an empty dialog (no devices to choose)

Beans

not sure what to make of this, but xidump suddenly started working. All I did was a find / -name command, and the library wasn't there.

xidump:
    virtual core keyboard keyboard
    virtual core pointer disabled
    generic keyboard unknown
    configured mouse unknown
    synaptics touchpad unknown
    pad unknown
    eraser unknown
    cursor unknown
    stylus unknown

After reboot... wacomcpl shows "select the device" with just "pad" in the list.

It doesn't let me do anything but check the "turn help on" checkbox and quit

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Wacom in 8.04 Hardy

Hi, thanks for the guide however it isn't working for me so far...

At stage 6 I get the following:
    bash: cd: linuxwacom-0.7.9-11./configure: No such file or directory

I am totally new to Ubuntu and Linux so apploogies if I'm missing something simple

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MikLSP View Post
    Hi, thanks for the guide however it isn't working for me so far...

At stage 6 I get the following:
    bash: cd: linuxwacom-0.7.9-11./configure: No such file or directory

I am totally new to Ubuntu and Linux so apploogies if I'm missing something simple
    It seems you have joined two commands together.

cd linuxwacom-0.7.9-11

and

./configure

should be typed on separate lines

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Wacom in 8.04 Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by rajivnavada View Post
    Thanks for your reply Neko18. Here is the output from the 2 commands you requested. It seems like I might have done something wrong but I can't figure out what.

When I follow step 19) of the How-To, and then issue the command wacomcpl, I get the blank dialog box like in the screenshot I attached in post #25. At this time if I try "sudo wacdump /dev/input/wacom" I get a nice terminal screen where everything seems to be working great. It seems like wacdump detects everything from the stylus in pen-mode or eraser mode and also I get the line at the top where wacdump shows the input streams etc...

However, when I restart the computer and then issue the command (wacomcpl), I get the dialog box with "pad" listed. Clicking on pad is no use and I can't really do much except exit. Now when I try wacdump, the input stream line does not show and also the different modes of the stylus are not recognized. Almost seems like there is some driver that is conflicting with the wacom driver. Another note here: after running these 2 commands when I make an error in typing in the terminal (anything that normally results in a system beep), X shuts down and I need to re-login.

Sorry for all this rambling but maybe this extra info might help you debug this problem.

Thanks.
    Also for me there are the same problems. Wacomcpl does,'t show the orptions and also the xidump-out is the same but the xsetwacom-out is empty. Any suggestions? PS The tablet works fine.

Beans

So I've finally managed to setup my Asus R1F tablet using the guide below and zappacky's patch which recognises the USB Tablet PC interface used by Asus. Unfortunately I can't get the offset right. I've tried putting in the minimum and maximum X:Y values I get from wacdump without success and wacomcpl doesn't show any devices.

Thanks to everyone for their useful posts and guides.

Quote Originally Posted by neko18 View Post
    @pommattski
    From what I've read, 64 bit users seem to be having better luck with Wacom tablets. I may just be seeint a false correlation though. In any case, it won't hurt to follow all the instructions.

@Kiongku
    There are three ways to get Ubuntu to detect your tablet if it is plugged back in:
    1. Restart your computer. This should always work.

2. Log out and log back in. This almost always works.

Switch to a different virtual terminal, then back to the one running X.org. To do this, press Ctrl-Alt-F1, wait a couple seconds, then press Ctrl-Alt-F7, then wait a couple seconds.

Yours may not be F7 (though the majority seem to be), so try some other higher numbers if it isn't. The only other one I've personally seen is F9.

@rajivnavada
    1. Follow steps 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 of the original guide

Code:
    wget http://linuxwacom.pastebin.com/pastebin.php?dl=f3d5b9e73 -O ../zappacky_tabletpc.patch
    patch -p1 < ../zappacky_tabletpc.patch
    3. Follow step 6.

4. If you haven't done 8, 9, 10, and 11 before, do them. They only need to be done once.

Code:
    cp /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko wacom.ko.normal_build.`uname -r`
    sudo cp linuxwacom-0.7.9-11/src/2.6.24/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    6. Follow steps 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20.

I've read reports that the tablet calibration may be off with this patched driver. This can be fixed. If you have this problem, I can step you through calibrating it.

Beans

I am running a fresh install of 8.04 (64 bit) on a Dell Inspiron 1521. I am using the hardware driver for the ATI graphics card.

I followed all of the steps for my Wacom Bamboo Fun and it tossed me into low graphics mode and the tablet only works if I drag the pen across it. The mouse is unresponsive.
    Slowly learning

Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast