Thread: Problems switching from vpnc to network-manager-vpnc

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Problems switching from vpnc to network-manager-vpnc

Hey all-

I want to switch from using the command line vpnc client to the network manager plugin. I have a vpnc conf file that works fine, and that I've been using for a while. I set up the network manager VPN connection using information from the conf file, but it doesn't seem to be able to create a connection to the network. Worse, no errors are printed out anywhere!

Can someone point me to where the error log is for the network manager so that I can try to figure out what's going on?

Thanks!
    -Rob

Beans

Re: Problems switching from vpnc to network-manager-vpnc

Hi, first kill network manager:
    As root,
    Code:
    # killall NetworkManager NetworkManagerDispatcher
    Then restart it, telling it not to daemonize
    Code:
    # NetworkManager --no-daemon
    This will print messages to the terminal. I am having what appears to be the same problem as you, mine comes down to this error:

** (process:16186): WARNING **: <WARNING> nm_vpnc_dbus_init (): Could not acquire the dbus service. dbus_bus_request_name() says: 'Connection ":1.8037" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.vpnc" due to security policies in the configuration file'

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Problems switching from vpnc to network-manager-vpnc

Actually, one of the recent upgrades seems to have fixed the problem. I can now VPN into my network!