Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can only boot gnome failsafe mode Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Can only boot gnome failsafe mode Ubuntu 8.04

Hi!

I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 and when I went to login the screen would first go brown with the cursor still visible. After some hard disk activity, the screen would go black and the login screen would reappear.

Thought it was something that went wrong with the upgrade from 7.10, so I wiped and ran a clean install. Same problem.

I can access the live cd and my desktop if I choose failsafe gnome as my session, but cannot login to regular gnome. I have checked my logs and I discovered this in /var/log/daemon.log:
    Code:
    Apr 24 19:52:01 monster gdm[5537]: WARNING: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
    Failsafe gnome just starts gnome without running scripts. I am wondering where I can access the scripts to turn them off one by one to troubleshoot the error.

I have this same distro on my laptop. Both are running ATI video, but the laptop has an Intel chipset (celeron) and I have no problems despite numerous reboots to test. My desktop is an AMD Sempron, a 64-bit processor and I receive the same error every time I reboot, even after wiping and installing the 64-bit version.

Also, my video is reporting "out of range" while booting, which I had in Gutsy but fixed with startupmanager but I guess it hasn't been ported to Hardy yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Lynda
    Last edited by lyndaj70; April 25th, 2008 at 02:18 AM. Reason: left something out
    This Above all, To Thine Own Self Be True....
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows xp in Virtualbox
    Laptop: Win XP MCE / Ubuntu 9.04 dual-boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Can only boot gnome failsafe mode Ubuntu 8.04

*bump*

I'm having the same exact problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

me too!

Beans

Same here!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

same here...
    ThinkPad X61 Tablet Laptop
    Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HD
    TFT 12.1" XGA 1024 x 768 MULTITOUCH with Pen + Finger input

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by lyndaj70 View Post
    Failsafe gnome just starts gnome without running scripts. I am wondering where I can access the scripts to turn them off one by one to troubleshoot the error.
    Hello, I have the same problem (on a Dell Inspiron laptop ATI Radeon X300 video), ... and the same question!

For the moment I am working using failsafe mode.

Beans

I am also having this problem and I'm also trying to find the scripts.
    I found this so far:

In ~/.gnome2/ there could be a file named .session. If not, gdm will load the default session from /etc/gdm/Init (and PostLogin and Presession). More information can be found here: http://library.gnome.org/admin/gdm/s...ration.html.en

/etc/gdm also holds the failsafe scripts.

If I use fglrxinfo in a non failsafe session it will output SGI and mesa drivers. In failsafe it will output ATI drivers. I'm not sure if this is the same for everybody here (please try), but it could be a clue for what to look for.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Onderstekop; April 26th, 2008 at 03:57 PM.

Beans

Today I installed KDE to see if this would help, but it didn't and I think the problem lies in the new xorg. I got some xorg.conf hacking to do tonight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Onderstekop View Post
    Today I installed KDE to see if this would help, but it didn't and I think the problem lies in the new xorg. I got some xorg.conf hacking to do tonight.

(possible dumb question) If the problem is in xorg, would it not effect all of the window managers? I can log into failsafe gnome, and when I (eh-hem "oops") accidentally deleted the gnome desktop manager it booted me into x-windows without a problem. From what I understand (and I am far from expert) if it was in xorg that would affect ALL of the video and we wouldn't be able to login to any of the window managers. Am I off-track on the logic?
    Last edited by lyndaj70; April 26th, 2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: oops!
    This Above all, To Thine Own Self Be True....
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows xp in Virtualbox
    Laptop: Win XP MCE / Ubuntu 9.04 dual-boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If it is xorg try the failsafe/recovery kernel and reconfigure x and then do a normal boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast