Thread: Trying to delete saved passwords stored by keyring.

Beans

Trying to delete saved passwords stored by keyring.

I saved a password I didn't want to when I created a connection to an FTP server by going to the Places menu and then selecting Connect To Server...

How can I access the area this password is stored in and delete the password?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Trying to delete saved passwords stored by keyring.

if you have seahorse installed you can delete the key by right clicking and selecting delete this key. Can't remember offhand how to do it from the terminal

Seahorse is a really nice keyring manager. I recommend it.

Not sure, but I think the file is under ~/.gnome2/keyrings/

Beans

I had a similar issue. I just configured ubuntu server 64 bit with a gui and setup my login window to automatically login to my user (so I could restart my server remotely and have it connect to the internet on its own). I had the same keyring question when it booted before it could connect to the internet.

Here's how I fixed it for my wifi connection with WEP Password:

1) Right click on the internet connection/signal icon near your clock, go to Edit Connections...
    2) I clicked on Wireless tab, but an ethernet connection would obviously be the wired tab, and deleted my connection (with the password stored in it).
    3) Open Terminal:
    cd ~/.gnome2/keyrings
    rm -rf *.keyrings
    4) Reboot

If it asks for a password for your connection on startup, put it in. Reboot again to see if the Unlock Keyring window prompts you again. If it does, repeat steps 3 and 4.

Hope this works for you as easily as it did for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsoldier2003 View Post
    if you have seahorse installed you can delete the key by right clicking and selecting delete this key. Can't remember offhand how to do it from the terminal

Seahorse is a really nice keyring manager. I recommend it.
    CORRECT! WORKED!!

I finally managed to do it and I wanted to share it, although Oldsoldier2003 had already found the solution. Seahorse -> Passwords(tab) -> Right click on "Login" (or whatever you want to delete) -> select "Delete" -> Press "Delete" for confirmation.

All done in a graphical user interface. You don't need to touch the cli/terminal!
    Gnome3 on 12.04 LTS. MATE on 12.10.