Thread: Seagate FreeAgent External Drive and Toshiba Satellite A-135

Beans

Seagate FreeAgent External Drive and Toshiba Satellite A-135

Hello, I'm a recent Ubuntu convert and am not too familiar with it all. I'm capable of using the terminal, but not great at it. Anyway, I have a Toshiba Satellite A-135 Laptop and a Seagate External Hard Drive. The system recognizes it and it works perfectly if it is plugged in at start-up, but refuses to recognize it if you plug it in while the computer is running. So, I end up restarting the computer a lot.
    Why not just leave it plugged in? When I close my laptop (go into "suspend" mode), and then open it again, the computer no longer recognizes the drive.

I'm running 7.10.

does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to solve this problem? I have tried sudo mount but was unsuccesful. Any help would be much appreciated.

Beans

Re: Seagate FreeAgent External Drive and Toshiba Satellite A-135

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Seagate FreeAgent External Drive and Toshiba Satellite A-135

Are you using USB or firewire. I'm not familiar with the FreeAgent models. Also, open the logs and watch what happens when it is plugged in. That may give you a clue as to what's going on.

I have two external HDs and both work in 7.10 without a problem (one Acom, and one Maxtor).
    Ubuntu 7.10 64bit on Toshiba Laptop A135-S4467 (and everything seems to work!!). I will be updating the Laptop Testing Page to reflect this soon.