Thread: Questions with 8.04

Beans

Questions with 8.04

Hello all
    A couple of questions.
    I have downloaded Ubuntu 8.04, burnt the iso to a cd and rebooted, selecting to try Ubuntu without changes to my pc. The cd boots into Ubuntu ok, but if I select from the top level menus then a drop down menu appears and that is it, my mouse cursor will move but clicking on a selection does no good, neither does pressing any keys on the keyboard. I have to do a full reboot. This does not happen with Ubuntu 7.0.4 live disk, Linux Mint 3.0 Cassandra or SUSE Linux 10 but does with Linux Mint 4.
    I tried Ubuntu 7.0.4 a while ago but had problems with ndiswrapper for my wireless internet connection. I then tried Linux Mint 3.0 which had ndiswrapper built in and sorted out the connection. This was installed onto my main HDD, Maxtor 80Gb. I set it to dual boot with XP Pro, 50 Gb for XP, the rest split for a swap partition and the Linux partition. When I tried to boot Linux, using the Linux bootloader, however, at least half of the time the boot hung and I had to restart the pc. I got fed up with this so I uninstalled Linux, deleted the partitions and extended the XP partition to cover the whole disk.
    From the above, I am reluctant to install Linux again if I am to have the same problems. Can anyone advise ?
    System:
    Athlon XP2800
    Motherboard MSI KT6V-LSR (MS-7021)
    1 Gb SDRAM
    Radeon 9600 XT, 256 Mb RAM

TIA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Questions with 8.04

The CD drive isn't as fast as your harddrive, so the menu being slow to open should be normal. I'd recommend trying 8.04 anyhow, it'll be much better installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

The Live CD does run a bit slower than an installed version of Ubuntu, may not make a difference but did you burn the iso at 4X, if I remember correctly I had to go back and slow the burn time down before I got a CD that would function correctly.

Beans

Thanks for the replies.
    I reburned the iso at the slowest speed my burner and software would allow, 8x. Now if I boot from the live disk I can start Firefox, but after about a minute the same problem occurs in that the mouse has no effect on any menu. I dont think that it is a cd speed problem because I have no problems for the first minute, and waiting up to a quarter of an hour has no effect, the menus cannot be selected on.
    If I install using wubi, how easy is it to completely remove Ubuntu in case I still have the same problem? Come to that, how safe is installation using Wubi? I am very reluctant to partition my HDD and install for the reasons in my first message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wubi is very easy to install (has a very clear menu and such) and easy to remove - it can be found in the windows list of the "add/remove programs" where you can uninstall it from.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Wubi is fantastic and has blown my mind away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

installing it from windows just seems wrong to me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Better than nothing