Thread: IP address and Internet Security

Beans

IP address and Internet Security

I'm not sure if I should be posting this in the Networking section, Security section, or Paranoia section, but I am trying to find information on securing my ip address. I have seen several threads talking about surfing (ie, Firefox, etc.), but I was wondering if there was something out there that will protect all Internet traffic. Not just a web browser, but Instant Messenger, P2P, and anything else that traverses the Internet.

I have seen a couple of things regarding tor, but it also seems to slow down the response significantly. Just wondering if there is anything else out there.

Thanks,

NoOne N Particular

P.S. Running Hardy on a 2.4Ghz machine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: IP address and Internet Security

there is no "allround" protection. You always have to say what you want to protect. So, what is it you want to protect ? Your computer ? your connections ?

i'm a little confused about the question, to be honest...
    Calvin: I'm being educated against my will! My rights are being trampled!
    Hobbes: Is it a right to remain ignorant?
    Calvin: I don't know, but I refuse to find out!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: IP address and Internet Security

First to consider is if you have a static IP or not. If you don't (which is likely) then you only really need a firewall/router to protect your computer. If you have a fixed IP you still probably only need a firewall/router, and any sort of proxies you use will probably be overkill. Someone knowing your IP won't be anything ultra-dangerous unless you have a bunch of open ports and such (or unless they have a personal vendetta against you). However, if you are really adamant about protecting your address, any service you use will slow down your connection by the nature of the service. I'd start with Tor, although I dont claim to have any expertise in the field. Ubuntu makes you quite safe by itself, but in reality your computer is only as safe as the person using it. Be smart with your IP, and remember, if you're not sure about anything, Google is your friend.