Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardy freezes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Hardy freezes

Quote Originally Posted by euchrid33 View Post
    I had no problems with the original release of Hardy, but the point release (8.0.4.1) gave me freezes exactly as described here, always when I was using the wireless. I've just installed the -rt kernel as recommended earlier, and it's fixed it beautifully. Ubuntu's performance isn't as fast as it used to be, but I'll take that over freezes and hard restarts any day.

Now to try out 8.10...
    I concur. My freezing only started after 8.04.1. I do not use wireless but nVidia, which seems to be one of the culprits. I upgraded to 8.10, Intrepid and the freezes went away, until recently when some updates trashed it again. Going to install again and then see if it runs stable for a week without updates then I know that the culprit (for me) is in one of those updates. Process of elimination continues.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adam_kimber View Post
    I upgraded to 8.10, Intrepid and the freezes went away, until recently when some updates trashed it again. Going to install again and then see if it runs stable for a week without updates then I know that the culprit (for me) is in one of those updates. Process of elimination continues.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I've upgraded to Intrepid and all the freezes have vanished. If you do work out which update it is that causes the freeze please post it, though I fear that it'll be different for different systems

Beans

I had the random freezing problem for ages before...ended up giving up and using Windows XP for ages. However, my motherboard recently died and I had to get a new one (and got a new processor / ram as well). And...NO MORE CRASHES. I used Hardy for a few days without problem and then recently installed (fresh) Intrepid and that works perfectly as well!

My previous motherboard was an Asus A8N-E with an AMD X2 4800+ CPU and 2gb RAM. Maybe it was some issue with the dodgy nforce chip or something? I know that version of nforce wasn't the best...Although Ubuntu used to work fine on Gutsy and below...

Anyway, my new Intel based motherboard seems to have solved the problem. Nothing I did on the previous one would fix the issue...it really was a total screwup system that I had to totally abandon. Windows XP saved me for a while, but now I can thankfully use Ubuntu again for most things!

Does anyone NOT have an nforce setup with this problem?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DozeyUK View Post
    I had the random freezing problem for ages before...ended up giving up and using Windows XP for ages. However, my motherboard recently died and I had to get a new one (and got a new processor / ram as well). And...NO MORE CRASHES. I used Hardy for a few days without problem and then recently installed (fresh) Intrepid and that works perfectly as well!

My previous motherboard was an Asus A8N-E with an AMD X2 4800+ CPU and 2gb RAM. Maybe it was some issue with the dodgy nforce chip or something? I know that version of nforce wasn't the best...Although Ubuntu used to work fine on Gutsy and below...

Anyway, my new Intel based motherboard seems to have solved the problem. Nothing I did on the previous one would fix the issue...it really was a total screwup system that I had to totally abandon. Windows XP saved me for a while, but now I can thankfully use Ubuntu again for most things!

Does anyone NOT have an nforce setup with this problem?
    You haven't changed wireless cards? That seems to be the issue with most people. Did the old mobo have an onboard graphics card? Some people have suggested that the graphics card is also likely to be responsible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by euchrid33 View Post
    You haven't changed wireless cards? That seems to be the issue with most people. Did the old mobo have an onboard graphics card? Some people have suggested that the graphics card is also likely to be responsible.
    I NEVER USED a wireless card It's not an issue with Wireless at all The old mobo didn't have onboard graphics either...It's definitely not the graphics card either as I'm using the same one now.

I'm pretty sure it's Nforce based motherboards as I've gone back about 20 pages and all I can see (where people have posted specs) they all have nforce based ones...mostly all Asus as well!

Beans

I'm pretty sure it's Nforce based motherboards as I've gone back about 20 pages and all I can see (where people have posted specs) they all have nforce based ones...mostly all Asus as well!
    Huh, that's interesting. I think that you might be right. I'm not at my Ubuntu machine now, but I'd be curious to see who manufactured the mobo. I'll check it out when I get home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have hard freezes with caps lock & scroll lock flashing (as http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=832383).

According to Belarc Advisor, my (Acer T120) motherboard is E22M which does not seem to be Asus, does it?
    Acer Aspire TC-100-007: Multi boot W10 / 22.04 / 18.04 LTS: Canon TS705: Epson V200: also Asus 1015PED: W7 / 18.04 Lubuntu & Lenovo 5-15ARE05: W11 / Ubuntu 22.04

Beans

Not quite. I have a Gigabyte 7ZXE Mobo with a VIA chipset.
    There's more than one problem here. Mine seems to be a bad AGPMode in Xorg. I have yet to see anyone else use the same fix successfully, and several in this thread have tried.

Beans

Hi all.
    I'm running Ubuntu 8.04.1 Hardy on an Acer Ferrari 3200, AMD64 Athlon, ATI Mob Radeon 9700, 1G RAM and Broadcom Wireless. FF3.

I noticed the system going to freeze randomely after installed xserver-xgl (plus libglitz-glx1 and libglitz1).

Performances went awfully down.

Particularly, the freeze happend when opening new tabs in FF3.

Seems to be solved removing xserver-xgl (plus libglitz-glx1 and libglitz1).

Performances araised but no more able to use ATI graphic accelerator.

It's ok: i don't have to go back to XP.

Hope this helps.

[edit]
    Forgot to say that the screensaver went also back to work
    Last edited by MurphyWalker; October 29th, 2008 at 10:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

weird double post. sorry
    Last edited by oxman; October 30th, 2008 at 03:00 PM.
    ox is grateful http://www.singingfalls.com linux user #199890
    12.04 - 2 PCs and 1 Laptop - System 76 bonp5

Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast