Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird Glow Behind Menu Bars and Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Weird Glow Behind Menu Bars and Windows

I got this odd glow too. Changing themes also worked for me. I love Ubuntu so much, but it is frustrating how each new release seems to fix a lot of bugs only to introduce some new oddball quirks. Still this is minor and (as implied above) probably caused by those lousy binary drivers from nvidia. I went through HELL getting my dual monitors to work. Ah well, here's hoping nvidia steps up their Linux support soon.
    ~ZeusABJ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i am fairly certain that it is a bug that affects the shadow color compiz uses. I am not sure what causes it, since I have 3 boxes all running Nvidia cards with the newest drivers and only my main rig does it. That may be a result of dual booting 7.10 and 8.04 and using the same home directory and as a result the same settings. Perhaps this is causing the problem as my other two boxes were complete reformat installs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I had kinda of an orange glow going on around all my windows too after upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04. I turned the appearance settings to none, then back to extra, changed my emerald theme to something different, glow went away, and then when I changed back to my favorite emerald theme the glow did not return.

Beans

I am having the same issue. Fresh install of 8.04. Never had this issue in 7.10. Seems to be related to compiz. If you change the theme around it solves the problem until a reboot, after which the glow comes back. My card is a nVidia. It is quite annoying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've got the same problem, only occasionally / momentarily though.

Beans

1. Open Emerald Theme Manager
    2. Edit Themes tab
    3. Frames/Shadows tab
    4. Adjust the Opacity slider.

This will change the shadow colour back to what you have set in the Frames/Shadows tab (your theme default).

Make sure you click the Save button, or it will reset when you reboot.

For some reason, the upgrade to Hardy effects this setting until you override it with your theme setting and save it again.

Beans

I changed the settings in my 'Advanced Desktop Effects Settings' to what is in the screenshot below and it seems to be fine now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Doesn't that eliminate all drop shadows however? That sort of defeats the "eyecandy" associated with Compiz-fusion. I have this on one computer and not the others. Sounds like a bug in Compiz.
    JM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

its definitely a emerald thing, not compiz. I had compiz on and switched emerald to gtk and the glow went away when i switched back to emerald it came back. So to fix it you just go to emerald theme manager, edit themes, frame shadows and put opacity to 0
    System Specs:
    Asus M2N4-SLI Motherboard, Nvidia GeFORCE 8500GT, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+, 4GB RAM, 200GB Harddrive (100GB Windows 7, 100GB Ubuntu 12.04)

Beans

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast