Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acer Aspire 7720-6374

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Acer Aspire 7720-6374

After reading around a lot, and just ending up in circles, I have shed some light at the end of the tunnel on the subwoofer issue.

Firstly, you will need to determine which sound card codec you are using; I am assuming ALC268, as we are dealing with the Acer 7720 series,

Code:
    cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
    which returned this for me.

Code:
    Codec: Realtek ALC268
    Codec: Conexant ID 2c06
    You will then need to check out this link here which will tell you of the sound options to use in the alsa-base configuration file. Find your codec number, e.g. ALC268.

Open up a terminal and type in

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    Scroll to the bottom and add the following lines,

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=MODEL
    Repalcing MODEL with the model from the list on the link provided above. It appears that using model=auto gives the best results, as new options appear in the Volume Control and Volume Preferences.

Code:
    824		ALC268
    825		  3stack	3-stack model
    826		  toshiba	Toshiba A205
    827		  acer		Acer laptops
    828		  dell		Dell OEM laptops (Vostro 1200)
    829		  test		for testing/debugging purpose, almost all controls can
    830				adjusted.  Appearing only when compiled with
    831				$CONFIG_SND_DEBUG=y
    832		  auto		auto-config reading BIOS (default)
    I hope this brings us closer to solving the subwoofer issue!
    Last edited by BB88; December 29th, 2008 at 06:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by steve8track View Post
    Duh, the audio wasn't hard to fix after all! I just copied what this tutorial said into .asoundrc:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Ha...oftware_mixing

I wasn't sure if I had software or hardware mixing, until I found a forum that said you can check with:

Code:
    cat /proc/asound/pcm
    in the command line.

If playback is >1, then it supports hardware mixing. I would have thought a soundcard with 5.1 surround sound should support hardware mixing, but apparently not according to this file.

I hope this helps someone.

Steve
    Thank you for this tip, this greatly helped, now just the problematic subwoofer!
    Last edited by BB88; December 29th, 2008 at 05:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey all. Would just like to thank all for the help in this thread! Thanks to this I've now got sound and mic working (although mic is quite noisy).

I'm also having issues with subwoofer. No output at all! 8.10 doesn't even seem to recognise it exists! I'm still playing with setups and gathering info from other places. If I make any progress you'll be the first to know

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Still working on the woofer and still no progress
    Anyone?
    Acer Aspire 7720 (Intel Core 2 Duo T5450; 17" LCD; 2GB DDR2 RAM; 160GB HDD) | Dual-Booting Vista Home Premium & Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron | GDM...

Beans

I have had absolutely no luck with this. I tried to see if building from arch using the 2.6.28 kernel would solve the problem or at least provide some further info but no luck.

Someone has actually recently posted to the kernel buglist about this though so maybe something will come of this.

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12916

I am still having great difficulty recording any sound from the internal mic - has anyone got this working perfectly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by deevabone View Post
    I have had absolutely no luck with this. I tried to see if building from arch using the 2.6.28 kernel would solve the problem or at least provide some further info but no luck.

Someone has actually recently posted to the kernel buglist about this though so maybe something will come of this.

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12916

I am still having great difficulty recording any sound from the internal mic - has anyone got this working perfectly?
    Thanks for the link to the bug article deevabone. I've not got the internal mic working perfectly...but I have got it working. Just update to the latest ALSA and fiddle for a while...or rather a long time! It's just a matter of balancing the "mic" and "mic boost" sliders to filter the noise and volume levels.
    Acer Aspire 7720 (Intel Core 2 Duo T5450; 17" LCD; 2GB DDR2 RAM; 160GB HDD) | Dual-Booting Vista Home Premium & Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron | GDM...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12