Thread: Why Wine when VMs are so much easier?

Beans

Question Why Wine when VMs are so much easier?

I've kinda wondered why bother with Wine and not simply create a VM-like core manager for non-linux applications built in? Wouldn't it be easier? I don't say this lightly; i want to be told if it is easier or not, as i'm not a programmer and would really enjoy picking a programmer's brain.

But it's just that it appears VMs are a ton less work for the same end; to get applications meant for this OS to work on that OS, rather than constantly trying to fix the millions of bugs emulation creates. But, Imho, seamlessness is what merits using the desired OS in the first place though...

What i'm trying to ask is, [with 0 programing knowledge or even a feel for it] wouldn't it kinda be easier to develop a background VM with a super trimmed down target OS [definately illegal] hosted somewhere [then installed from there to your comp] then seamlessy implanted into your desktop? Out of the box?

No?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why Wine when VMs are so much easier?

Depends on the application.

For starters, you got the obvious downsides to running a VM. Takes a lot more memory of course, and, well, you got that nasty Windows thing on your hard drive again.

But, there's some apps that just will no run on Wine. For example, I have a few programs that I've written in Visual Studio that I still need to support/update. It runs just fine in a VM without having to dual boot. Plus, you can set up the "seamless desktop" bit, it looks a bit more integrated.

On the other hand, there's some apps that will not run in a VM, namely games. Stuff that doesn't require Direct3D I've gotten running ok in a VM, but if you need 3D, a VM is out. Just isn't going to happen. I do hope the various VM developers perfect a virtual Direct3D device, but that's a long ways off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Why Wine when VMs are so much easier?

Illegal, there you have the answer for your question.
    Some people doesn't take legal issue so lightly. There are many trimmed down xps if you need one, so there's no need to build another (if xp is what you need). Some doesn't even bother to crack any windows, or spend money buying it.
    Even if you install windows with vm, it regarded as installation on other machine, that is another legal issue, even with original cd.
    Last edited by BatsotO; April 24th, 2008 at 11:04 PM.