Thread: update manager using bittorrents

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[Solved] update manager using bittorrents

I'm looking for an option or setup to get the program "Update Manager" to use bittorrent files automatically instead of bombarding the central servers/mirrors for repository files and, as in the present case, upgrades (HH). Of course if this isn't already implemented then there would be no one off which to leech even if I did make/get a bittorent file for every package. Also, I realize that there are bittorent files for all of the distributions, and am seeding the HH i386 server and desktop versions now.
    Last edited by tyblu; April 24th, 2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: question answered

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: update manager using bittorrents

Quote Originally Posted by tyblu View Post
    I'm looking for an option or setup to get the program "Update Manager" to use bittorrent files automatically instead of bombarding the central servers/mirrors for repository files and, as in the present case, upgrades (HH). Of course if this isn't already implemented then there would be no one off which to leech even if I did make/get a bittorent file for every package. Also, I realize that there are bittorent files for all of the distributions, and am seeding the HH i386 server and desktop versions now.
    I don't think that's possible. The "Update Manager" is just a graphical front end for (a part of) Debian's apt-get package manager.
    Last edited by 1440; April 24th, 2008 at 09:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Oh... so I should probably just man apt-get then .

Thank you!

knowledge += 1.

Beans

I used torrents and I have listed the steps I followed to upgrade here: http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/u...sy-gibbon.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I also wonder...
    Is there a group of folks out there wrapping packages into torrents to distribute among their own networks, friends or groups?