Thread: Auto Mount at start

Beans

Auto Mount at start

I've installed the RC, and my two Windows partitions don't auto mount at start up now, help, oh and thanks for the helps i'm sure to get. I can mount the partitions after start up, but that's a pain to do manually as i have Amarok pointing at a folder in Windows where i keep my music.

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Auto Mount at start

you need to add them to your fstab file (/etc/fstab)

ubuntu.com is dying right now due to the release of 8.04 so i cant search the wiki and help for you, but there is some info here as to what to put in your fstab, and strewn across google.

Beans

Thanks, that's a start, i'll keep hunting for a solution, you're right, nothing about the two partitions on fstab

Beans

Here's my fstab line that mounts my windows drive at boot.

/dev/sda2 /media/disk auto auto,users,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

Obviously you'd customize based on your disk and mount point.

Beans

any risk? i assume (possibly dangerously so) that i change sdaX and media/XXXXX to whatever mine are? just don't want to murder anything, i'm loving hardy

Beans

That should do it. You might also have to change the uid and gid, but probably not.

The worst that "should" happen is if it's wrong it just doesn't mount properly, assuming you don't mess with the other stuff in there.

Check out this thread for a very detailed explanation of fstab.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

You can also use the ntfs-config tool which is in the repositories. The problem with adding them to fstab is that you won't be able to unmouont them if you want to without opening a terminal. If you configure them with ntfs-config you can right click it and unmount it that way.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

enigmaniac23 Thanks, it worked a treat

FuturePilot, i tried ntfs-config, the only option the GUI gave me was to make external drive read/write or something to that effect, but you are right, i can't mount after unmount. Am i not using ntfs-config correctly?

Beans

Oh, and now, how do i remount the partition i unmounted? It's dead in the water now? Thanks for your patience!