Thread: upgrade with live cd

Beans

Cool upgrade with live cd

Hi,

I downloaded the 8.04 live cd, can I upgrade my 7.10 installation using this cd? or do I need the alternate cd?

thanks.

Beans

Re: upgrade with live cd

I believe you need to use the alternate CD. When you insert the disk I believe it indicates it has found updates and asks if you want to upgrade.

This info is old but is accurate. http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Beans

Thanks for that tip. With the Alternate CD I was able to use:
    gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

But a question: If you can install Ubuntu fresh with the Desktop CD, why can't that same CD also be used for an upgrade? I assume it's because the files are in a different format for some reason (one for clean, one for upgrade), but why is that?

Beans

Upgrade requires an alternate cd. For the steps see: http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/u...sy-gibbon.html

Beans

Yes, that's been mentioned, but it still kind of begs the question I asked above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Just a tip. I upgraded with the alternate CD by booting into Gutsy, inserting the CD and i got a pop-up with a third button to upgrade my system. Worked for me. This option was not available when inserting the dektop/live CD.

I agree, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to add the upgrade feature to the desktop CD. Maybe it's a size issue where the magic 700Mb is exceeded...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I had the same question why does there have to be two CD's why can we do a CD upgrade with the live CD?