Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ksplice: Kernel Security Patches without Reboots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ksplice: Kernel Security Patches without Reboots

This morning the update-manager reported that there was a new "linux-image" available for download ... So I did the usual "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" ... And still no pop-up telling me to reboot.

So far so good I guess?

Beans

No, I believe you have a new kernel from ubuntu installed now. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but there isn't currently a smooth integration of ksplice and ubuntu kernel updates at this moment.
    Last edited by nexus9k; July 2nd, 2009 at 04:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

cool i should have got this yesterday !!

i had to reboot for liek the third time in a 2 month peroid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by nexus9k View Post
    there isn't currently a smooth integration of ksplice and ubuntu kernel updates at this moment.
    From the ksplice.com web site:

"Running the latest version of Ubuntu? Say goodbye to reboots!"
    Why would they say that if their stuff wasn't smoothly integrated? As I wrote above: So far no reboots, despite new kernel updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by scorp123 View Post
    From the ksplice.com web site:

Why would they say that if their stuff wasn't smoothly integrated? As I wrote above: So far no reboots, despite new kernel updates.
    I'm guessing because you have to use a separate tool for it. I'm thinking what people want is nice integration with the existing update tools.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    I'm thinking what people want is nice integration with the existing update tools.
    Exactly. I am using the Ubuntu update manager. Still no reboots thus far. Despite there having been new "linux-image" and "linux-headers" packages. The other laptop without KSplice immediately reported "Restart required". This one with KSplice didn't say anything about reboots so far.

My kernel version currently is:

Code:
    > uname -a
    Linux serenity 2.6.28-13-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 2 07:57:31 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    A look into /boot/grub/menu.lst shows that this is the only kernel that is installed at the moment (I remove old kernel images so they disappear from GRUB too ...)

Either it's supressing the "Restart required!" message or it indeed doesn't need one?

It will be interesting to see what will happen if there is a big kernel update. Right now I'll leave the laptop running, just to see how far I can go without a reboot.

Beans

Wow, looks like I was wrong.

$uname -rsm
    Linux 2.6.28-13-generic x86_64

$uptime
    12:29:23 up 7 days, 2:07, 5 users, load average: 0.03, 0.07, 0.15

Very cool!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I rebooted ... just to see if there would be a difference.

Before reboot (taken from my posting above):
    Code:
    > uname -a
    Linux serenity 2.6.28-13-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 2 07:57:31 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    After manual reboot (freshly typed into my terminal):
    Code:
    > uname -a
    Linux serenity 2.6.28-13-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 30 19:49:51 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    So ... there was in fact a kernel update. And I needed to manually reboot in order to get to the new kernel (2.6.28-13-generic #44 vs. #45).

Given this, I now have doubts about KSplice ... What's the purpose if I in fact still need to reboot to activate the latest kernel that I just pulled via the update manager?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by scorp123 View Post
    I rebooted ... just to see if there would be a difference.

Before reboot (taken from my posting above):
    Code:
    > uname -a
    After manual reboot (freshly typed into my terminal):
    Code:
    > uname -a
    Linux serenity 2.6.28-13-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 30 19:49:51 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    So ... there was in fact a kernel update. And I needed to manually reboot in order to get to the new kernel (2.6.28-13-generic #44 vs. #45).

Given this, I now have doubts about KSplice ... What's the purpose if I in fact still need to reboot to activate the latest kernel that I just pulled via the update manager?
    That is because (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know a whole lot about this program. I'm basing this off the information on their site) you have to apply the kernel updates with the Ksplice update program. You can't use update-manager. (which is what I was getting at with the integration thing.)
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

I'm guessing that ksplice patches your old kernel with the updates deemed necessary by "X" and that when you reboot, you are in fact rebooting with the upgraded kernel you installed through your update manager and not the kernel patched by ksplice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast