Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Beans

Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Quote Originally Posted by paul cooke View Post
    Well, the subset of ECS mobo users of that particular motherboard who actually use Linux is probably very small, so you are quite likely in a very small number of Linux users who are having problem... The issue here is that the problem is really yours to manage, not that of the community. You can't expect somebody else who isn't having a problem to know about the problem until they are actually made aware of the problem...

so has it actually been reported to the GRUB developers? If not, you'll have to do it yourself. If it already exists as a GRUB bug, then add extra details to the bug report.

Be prepared to help testing any patch as they are extremely unlikely to have the hardware you have.
    From the number of posts in this thread alone it's a very poor conclusion of yours to assume it's my ECS board. This isn't an ECS issue, but more like a GRUB/Linux issue with SATA controllers in general. Many people in this thread have a different manufactured mainboard with a JMicron controller on it that's having the same problem.

I don't know if this is a GRUB issue, or a Linux Kernal issue, or something else. I'm not a coder, programmer, debugger, or a driver designer. I'm just a Linux user.

As another user said later in this thread, if Linux is to become more mainstream, bugs like this have got to be resolved quicker than 2 years. After I've googled this problem, it dates back at least 2 years that I've found.

Beans

Like many other people, I have a JMicron controller for my SATA drives. For me, the solution was to set the JMicron Controller Mode to RAID in the BIOS. Windows XP still launches with this setting.

I installed Ubuntu by installing the network installer on an USB stick through UNetBootIn (get it at: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/). I installed it without the RAID mode, but then that worked only once from the 10ish times I tried.

For the statistics, I have an Asus P5W DH Deluxe with a Intel quadcore Q6600. I am installing to a 300gb samsung sata disk. I have an Ami Bios version 2503 from 12/26/07.

If your computer uses JMicron and you can not set this option in your BIOS, perhaps you need to update your BIOS. According to JMicron, JMB bios 1.06.53 and above supports linux & grub as can be read here. I have a different bios, but I think I might update my bios anyway to see if I can get it working without setting the controller mode to RAID
    Last edited by Enki0611; August 19th, 2008 at 01:39 PM.

Beans

Ok Guys,
    For the past week I have been unable to get Mythbuntu to install on my new made up system that I put together. I have read alot of this threads and have had to same problems as a lot of you. It was always, no matter what I tried,:

Busybox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in Sheull (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

So finally, success!!!

These are my specs:

Xpci- ATI HD 2600 Pro Super
    PCI - Broadlogic 2030 card
    PCI - Vision Plus 1020a Digital Satellite TV card
    PCI - Firewire / USB card and
    USB - Genpix board

Motherboard: Asus A8V-XE

Memory: Rosewill DDR400 512mb model: RW 400/512 (4 x 512 = 2 gigs)

Hard Drive:

80 gig-7200rpm Western Digital #WDC WD800JD-(This drive has got Windows xp and want to erase and install fresh'Mythbuntu' system)

500 gig-7200rpm Western Digital #WDC WD5000KS (New)

Video Card: Palit Radeon HD 2600 Pro Super

DVD/CD: Samsung DVD Writer (BG68-01353A Rev. 02)
    Artec DVD Writer (Vom-12E48X)Motherboard: Asus A8V-XE
    Memory: 2 gigs
    Hard Drive:

This is what I had to do:

Installed Ubuntu 7.10 as it saw everything with no problem. Next, I rebooted and inserted the, Ubuntu 8.04.1 (AMD 64) and whe it goes to the graphical menu, hit <F6> for "other options" and you'll see the kernel boot line and at the end you'll see a ' -- ' and the cursor will be placed just after the end of the line just after the ' -- ', just add 'all_generic_ide', without the quotes, and press the 'Enter' button on the keyboard.

It went to install Ubuntu 8.04.1 and after installation, reboot and insert the Mythbuntu 8.04.1 and it will install that.

I know it is a very long rout to get to install Mythbuntu but it worked for me. I am very happy after going 1 week on a daily basis trying and trying that to install this.

I give credit to whomever posted about the 'all_generic_ide'. That did for me.

Hope it works for someone else---Oortism

Beans

thanks to gmilne post #133

I needed only irqpoll option. and no more initramfs!!
    just needed time to realize that after editing a line need to press b not ESC

I have Intel dual core system , 8.041 hardy, and this unfortunate SATA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

very discouraged when i learned of this issue, how am i suppose to brag about this LTS when the first thing that pops up to those who i recommend ubuntu to is an error. i guess i am sticking with 7.10 for now. and i was so excited as well.

well its time to start plowing thru these posts to get the livecd to 'just work'. i appreciate all the hard work and yes this was a completely useless post. i just felt a strong need to say something.
    "One of the vulnerabilities of Linux is that many users do not think it is vulnerable to viruses." - Wikipedia

Beans

Adding my experience:

My current seup: Intel D975XBX2 Mobo, (has a Marvell SATA controller), 2 SATA HDDs, 1 SATA DVD-R/W drive. Dual-booting XP / Ubuntu 7.04 64 bit (though I can't remember the last time I booted XP). Put in the 8.04 i386 CD to begin upgrade....BusyBox/initramfs comes up. Added "irqpoll" to the boot options --> boots OK.

I'm not sure what "irqpoll" is telling it to do; it sounds like an oxymoron: irqs are a way of getting the CPU's attention *without* polling.

It's little things like this that make Linux so lovable. You expect something to go a certain way. When it doesn't, you dig around the Internet and the forums, learn a bunch of stuff that you never knew before, try things you didn't even know were there to be tried, and when it works, you feel a wave of relief wash over you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

This seems to be a problem with BusyBox when it cannot find a floppy drive on certain systems. Getting the latest Ubuntu LiveCD ISO solved this problem for many people.

Beans

Did not see that this topic was active at the time I posted mine, maybe somebody can help me here.

You can view my topic here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=899341

Does somebody have an idea what to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

[Solved] on Dell Vostro 200

I was finally able to install Xubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) on my Dell Vostro 200 tower PC. These instructions should also work on Kubuntu 8.04 and Ubuntu 8.04

I did NOT go into the BIOS to change the Sata to RAID. The best thing is "restore default settings" in the BIOS.

Then when you get to the screen to install Xubuntu press F6 key so you can edit the special arguments boot line.

add the following to the end of the line after the --

all_generic_ide floppy=off

This worked for me and after the install I did not have to edit menu.lst at all

Good Luck. And this distro rocks!

After sucessful install then install the package "ubuntu restricted" and you will have flash, java, mp3 and so on working.
    Last edited by ferral-cat; August 25th, 2008 at 06:56 PM.

Beans

Just thought I'd contribute my success story, using the all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll command my install worked on a rig with Asus A8N-E mobo, SATA hdd.
    Great job ubuntuforums, you guys are my heroes

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast