Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Beans

Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Enter the CMOS/BIOS by pressing one of the below five keys during the boot. Usually it's one of the first three.

* F1
    * F2
    * DEL
    * ESC
    * F10

A user will know when to press this key when they see a message similar to the below example as the computer is booting. Some older computers may also display a flashing block to indicate when to press the F1 or F2 keys.

Press <F2> to enter BIOS setup

Tip: If your computer is a new computer and you are unsure of what key to press when the computer is booting, try pressing and holding one or more keys the keyboard. This will cause a stuck key error, which may allow you to enter the BIOS setup.

Beans

here's a screenshot from the bios setting from my motherboard manual. maybe this helps someone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I've never had to change anything in the bios to get Ubuntu running except the boot order.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm in the same boat.

320GB SATA2 hard-drive split 260GB to WinXP and 50+ to Ubuntu 7.10 currently.

I can confirm that both the AMD64 and i386 Live-CD versions dead-end at the busybox / initramfs / ash thinger. I've tried playing with my bios and I can't find a configuration that works. I tried all of "Check CD for Defects", "Try without changing" and "Install" and they *all* lead to the busybox interface.

I did burn the images at 20x write to Sony 700MB CDs. The 8.04 i386 CD installs fine to my old HP Pavilion laptop, but busybox me on my desktop.

I'm now burning the Alternate i386 at the slowest write speed and am going to try that.

Canonical you and I know know you don't owe me anything. I'm just one person. However, I have to say that this sucks that the possible configuration of my computer is going to "busybox" me and the hundreds of other people out there who don't feel the need to post their cares to the forums.

My iso-burn is done. Back in a few.

Beans

changing from AHCI/IDE to SATA doesn't solve the problem. when the screen with the ubuntu logo and orange bar moving left-right appears, the OS seems to search "desperately" for a disk in the floppy and if i put one in it, it gives an error and then continues loading perfectly.

i have 2 HDs (1x SATA, 1x IDE). ubuntu can't detect the SATA HD, but, amazingly, it detects the IDE as SATA. this is getting creepy!

Beans
    Distro

I'd read what jedimasterk wrote in another thread, that to the alternate CD is to loathe and we shouldn't have to resort to it.

I agree, but it seems to be doing the trick for me.

After burning it and booting into it, I started up the install right away. The install hung up for quite a while and didn't seem to be doing anything. I CTRL-C`d it and saw that it appeared to be in an infinite loop, something to do about not finding a database.

A quick search on the f0s here and I find that someone recommended pressing F6 from the alternate boot menu and adding "pci=nomsi" to the boot arguments. That seemed to do the trick.

Now I'm already over 50% done the last stage of the installation process (select and install software).

Beans
    Distro

Just a follow up. I'm now swimming happily through the Hardy Heron i386 desktop, thanks to the alternate CD and pci=nomsi argument.

Beans

Seems like we have unveiled a major problem with 8.04. Although, none of you are experiencing this due to same reason as I.

Beans

I also have this problem on a machine I built myself using an Asus A8-VM CSM motherboard.

It has a single 300Gb sata drive and an IDE DVD writer.

On any option in the install menu, Normal/safe mode check CD etc
    as the ubuntu logo appears I see it access the HDD for a second (and I hear the drive seeking) then the CD is accessed for a second, this repeats approx 10 times, after this it then dumps me to the Busybox console with no error messages.

I have tried enabling raid in the BIOS but this makes no difference whatsoever.

I will try the above mentioned "pci=nomsi" in alternate boot options later on today and report if it works.
    Last edited by ig72; April 25th, 2008 at 01:52 PM.

Beans

I have the same problem. I try to install in any of the different modes and at first i get the ubuntu loading screen for about 2 minutes and then the busybox thingy. The problem i have is i can't seem to find that SATA option in my CMOS. Also, how do I get to "alternate boot options" in order to try the pci=nomsi method?
    Thanks.

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast