Thread: VM and guest doing file access on the host.. Any problems with this scenario?

Beans

VM and guest doing file access on the host.. Any problems with this scenario?

Here's my scenario:

I'm going to partition my machine about 35GB for Vista and then the remainder (280GB or so) for linux. maybe 15GB for / and the rest for /home

I'm going to install VBox probably, but I'm not against VMWare server. This is in LInux, which I intend to use as much as possible (meaning never use vista if I don't have to)

On the virtual machine I'll be running XP and I plan on having itunes on it so I can do my ipod a good way (sorry linux peeps, I think the alternatives are poo). I plan on having the files sit in a linux folder under home and having the XP VM access/edit them.

Is this going to work? Will the XPVM treat the /home drive like a network shared drive and have no issues? Will it freak out since it's technically a partition in Linux? Will linux freak out because a different OS is accessing the file system?

Just things like that I don't know about.. I'd rather not copy all the files to the XP VM because if I wipe it out I don't want all my things stored inside a VM image, I'd rather they be in a regular filesystem.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: VM and guest doing file access on the host.. Any problems with this scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by Saneless View Post
    Here's my scenario:

I'm going to partition my machine about 35GB for Vista and then the remainder (280GB or so) for linux. maybe 15GB for / and the rest for /home

I'm going to install VBox probably, but I'm not against VMWare server. This is in LInux, which I intend to use as much as possible (meaning never use vista if I don't have to)

On the virtual machine I'll be running XP and I plan on having itunes on it so I can do my ipod a good way (sorry linux peeps, I think the alternatives are poo). I plan on having the files sit in a linux folder under home and having the XP VM access/edit them.
    As with all VM file sharing, using a Samba share on the host is usually the easiest way of doing it.

You CANNOT (and should not) directly access host file systems from a VM - the risks of corruption are too great.

The are numerous HOWTOs on the Samba sharing.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way