Quote Originally Posted by knight666 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the advice in this thread, it really helped me out.
But I still have an annoying problem: I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 with all the latest updates on a Compaq Evo N610c (1.8 Ghz Mobile Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 32 MB), and with some haxxing (manually installing xserver-xgl, changing xorg.conf, etc) I got Compiz working.
But, not entirely.
Scrolling is very slow in windows and even though glxgears says I have an fps of 35-45 (under Compiz) and 75-80 (under Metacity), the window looks extremely choppy.

When I open a menu under Compiz, there is a white bar next to the end of the alpha blend shadow.

Finally, this is the output of compiz:
Code:
Checking for Xgl: present.
Checking for nVidia: not present.
Checkign for Xgl: present.
GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove the value so that operation can continue properly.
The option is set to its default value, "[]".

Help? <
OK, let's first uninstall xserver-xgl, I don't think you want that (I don't have it and I don't run laggy). Other people have complained in other threads about lag on all different types of cards and I'm tempted to say its because of xserver-xgl, so you're gonna test that out for me It can always be reinstalled of course. Please post the output of all of these commands exactly as they appear in your terminal.
Code:
metacity --replace
sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xgl
cat ~/.gconf/apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge
compiz --replace