Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Ok, so now this is really weird ... after rebuilding xorg.conf with this command and restarting X the flickering is totally gone and everything seems to work fine ... that's confusing, because after I upgraded to Hardy the flickering appeared, so it looks like the upgrade 'damaged' my xorg.conf ... hmmm ...

Well thank you a lot Rocket2DMn easy solution but very effective
    Best regards, have a nice day

terrorsathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Quote Originally Posted by terrorsathan View Post
    Ok, so now this is really weird ... after rebuilding xorg.conf with this command and restarting X the flickering is totally gone and everything seems to work fine ... that's confusing, because after I upgraded to Hardy the flickering appeared, so it looks like the upgrade 'damaged' my xorg.conf ... hmmm ...

Well thank you a lot Rocket2DMn easy solution but very effective
    Best regards, have a nice day

terrorsathan
    More likely is that there was some option set in your xorg.conf which the new ati driver didn't like. Now that you've regenerated a (practically empty) xorg.conf, the driver's happy again .
    Remember: if your problem is not described on a Launchpad bug, it can only be fixed by accident!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by RAOF View Post
    More likely is that there was some option set in your xorg.conf which the new ati driver didn't like. Now that you've regenerated a (practically empty) xorg.conf, the driver's happy again .
    Alright, I see
    Unfortunately now I get I white screen when I try to activate normal/extra effects or compiz ... let me know if you know a solution for this problem. But well, at least I can use my desktop normally again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I get...

susan@susans-desktop:~$ compiz --replace
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    Detected PCI ID for VGA: 05:00.0 0300: 1002:5e4b (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
    Trying again with indirect rendering:
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
    Checking for non power of two support: present.
    Checking for Composite extension: not present.
    SKIP_CHECKS is yes, so continuing despite problems.
    Checking for nVidia: not present.
    Checking for FBConfig: present.
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: No composite extension

Thats after adding skip checks.
    graphics = X700

Beans

Hello, I am rather new to Ubuntu and Linux and I have been studying and reading up on many forums and many problems that have occured with other users configurations. I am having a specific problem with my ATI driver (ATI mobility Radeon 9100. I have tried to follow this thread as best as I could and have had some success. My effects are working now, but when i activate normal or extra effects my computer runs very sluggish. Any ideas what the problem might be?? Second, I dont beleive i can run anything 3D. For example, the chess game that came with Ubuntu works but i can not run under 3D mode. It says that my python openGL is missing or not functioning. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I am running the open-source drivers, not the restricted ones from ATI.
    Thank you,
    Dav_Criv

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
    I get...

susan@susans-desktop:~$ compiz --replace
    Detected PCI ID for VGA: 05:00.0 0300: 1002:5e4b (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
    Trying again with indirect rendering:
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
    Checking for non power of two support: present.
    Checking for Composite extension: not present.
    Checking for FBConfig: present.
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: No composite extension

Thats after adding skip checks.
    graphics = X700
    swagman, your video card takes the restricted fglrx drivers, so this isn't the place to get help since we are dealing with the open source drivers here. However, if you upgraded from Gutsy, you may need to reconfigure X to reset your xorg.conf file
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -phigh
    then restart X with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE. Then you can try installing restricted drivers using a program called EnvyNG - http://albertomilone.com/envyngfaq.html#A
    If that doesn't get you going, you should start a new thread on these forums and somebody with more experience with fglrx and compiz can help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav_Criv View Post
    Hello, I am rather new to Ubuntu and Linux and I have been studying and reading up on many forums and many problems that have occured with other users configurations. I am having a specific problem with my ATI driver (ATI mobility Radeon 9100. I have tried to follow this thread as best as I could and have had some success. My effects are working now, but when i activate normal or extra effects my computer runs very sluggish. Any ideas what the problem might be?? Second, I dont beleive i can run anything 3D. For example, the chess game that came with Ubuntu works but i can not run under 3D mode. It says that my python openGL is missing or not functioning. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I am running the open-source drivers, not the restricted ones from ATI.
    Thank you,
    Dav_Criv
    Can you please post the entire output of
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    compiz --replace

Beans

Thank you for the quick response!! here is what comes up:

davide@computer:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS300M AGP [Radeon Mobility 9100IGP]
    davide@computer:~$ compiz --replace
    Found laptop using ati driver.
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: Segmentation fault
    present.
    Checking for non power of two support: Segmentation fault
    present.
    Checking for Composite extension: present.
    Segmentation fault
    Comparing resolution (1280x800) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
    Checking for FBConfig: Segmentation fault
    present.
    GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Those segmentation faults worry me, that means the code is either not executing correctly or it is corrupted - that is the first I've seen of it for compiz. However, it kept going, so we will try, too. For that GConf backend error, have a look at this bug report - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/209207
    The report has a little workaround in it, do let me know if it works. I'm assuming compiz isn't even starting right now.

Beans

Well, compiz is working and I used the workaround to get rid of the error. That worked but i still get those segmentation faults....here is the output:

Found laptop using ati driver.
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: Segmentation fault
    present.
    Checking for non power of two support: Segmentation fault
    present.
    Checking for Composite extension: present.
    Segmentation fault
    Comparing resolution (1280x800) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
    Checking for FBConfig: Segmentation fault
    present.

Compiz does still work but is running sluggish....
    Im going to see if any other users have run into this problem and i will post any new info i get....until then...any ideas?
    Dav_criv

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm really not sure what is up with those segfaults, but I know sluggish effects are being reported all over the place, and we have yet to figure out why (you have to remember, we already using a workaround, Compiz does not officially support these video cards). You mentioned in your first post that it said something about python openGL, do you still get that error? If so, where, can you show us the command/output?
    Also, is your system fully updated? If you are unsure, run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast