Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Beans

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Well....the 3D rendering problem has been fixed....I was just missing some python addons which I downloaded using synaptic manager...
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

I'm having similar issues here.

My Laptop is an EVO N600C with a Radeon Mobility M graphics chip. Until I upgraded the desktop effects were working perfectly with the ati drivers.

I have applied the work around suggested at the beginning of this post and it does seem to work. Now whenever I type fusion-icon the desktop seems to freeze up and stop responding. Then I will have to log off and then log back in. It seems to be worse since I applied the bug fix to the when I switch to Emerald and start using my preferred theme is quite 'buggy' with flashed of the desktop appearing when I maximise a window or the drop shadow effects not working until you click on the window and so on.

It seems OK if I do compiz--replace etc but do I need to do that everytime I log in now?

This is annoying as it was working flawlessly before the upgrade!!

Beans
    Distro

Well, under compiz the desktop is very flaky. Tooltips break up the page.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket2DMn View Post
    Thank you for the feedback, that sounds like it could be useful for others having trouble after a dist upgrade. If you have any other threads in which that method has worked for people, please let me know and I will add it to the original post as a troubleshooting method (assuming it's a solid solution).
    Commands would probably be something like
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove linux-restricted-modules-*
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`
    I entered sudo-apt-get install into a terminal and got this:

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    libglitz-glx1 libglitz1 libnss3-0d
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED
    linux-generic linux-restricted-modules-2.6.20-16-generic
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-14-generic
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-17-generic linux-restricted-modules-common
    linux-restricted-modules-generic
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 6 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 133MB disk space will be freed.

Has this method been tested anywhere else because I don't want to make things worse!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

adster,
    What those commands are doing is removing the restricted modules for all your kernels, cleaning up a little bit, then reinstalling only the restricted modules for the kernel you are using. Some users reported having problems relating to old restricted modules, though I don't know why, and that seems to have helped some people. You are not likely to break anything with those unless you revert to using other kernels, in which case you can install the restricted modules for those kernels using the 3rd command when you are booted into those kernels.

Beans
    Distro

OK I just ran the first two commands but what is the syntax of the third command?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The apostrophe like characters are backhashes (I think), the same button as ~ in the upper left of your keyboard. Using these allows you to run a command within a command (uname -r returns your kernel version).
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`

Beans
    Distro

I tried this and it didn't seem to make much difference. My dekstop is too slow and patchy to allow me to work with it under compiz/emerald. This is mighty frustrating as it worked like a dream under Gutsy.

I was thinking of trying out KDE. Will I have similar problems under KDE?

What is the simplest way to revert back to 7.10 and or what is the liklihood of this being fixed in the next release?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

KDE is not likely to solve your problem, it may actually make it worse since it requires more system resources than GNOME. The only way to revert back to 7.10 is to do a fresh install. I would suggest fresh installing Hardy first to see if that fixes your problem, most of people's issues seem to come after upgrading, not fresh installs.

Beans
    Distro

OK Thanks, I might try a fresh install of either Gutsy or Hardy then. Bit of a PIA but worth a shot.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast