Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Beans

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket2DMn View Post
    I've seen this a few times, but people haven't gotten back to me. I need to see the output of
    Code:
    cat ~/.gconf/apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge
    produces
    Code:
    cat: /home/feenstra/.gconf/apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge: No such file or directory
    However, in gconf-editor there is a key 'initiate_edge' under /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options, type 'list', with its value set to '[]' (an empty list).

Is ccsm barking up the wrong tree here?

By the way, this is a fresh Hardy install, but my user data is inherited from gutsy (and older). Hope this helps!

Beans

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

-
    Last edited by feenstra; May 13th, 2008 at 09:41 AM. Reason: double post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by feenstra View Post
    produces
    Code:
    cat: /home/feenstra/.gconf/apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge: No such file or directory
    However, in gconf-editor there is a key 'initiate_edge' under /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options, type 'list', with its value set to '[]' (an empty list).

Is ccsm barking up the wrong tree here?

By the way, this is a fresh Hardy install, but my user data is inherited from gutsy (and older). Hope this helps!
    Hey, here is a related bug report - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/209207

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by adster101 View Post
    It seems OK if I do compiz--replace etc but do I need to do that everytime I log in now?

This is annoying as it was working flawlessly before the upgrade!!
    Has anyone come up with a decent solution for this? Like adster101 (and, I suspect, a lot of other people) I had a perfectly functional compiz before the upgrade. It's not the only problem I've got with Hardy Heron*, but even though it's just eye candy it's actually the most irritating one

I could put the command to start compiz from bashrc (not sure if that will cause the screen to blank and redraw still, or if compiz will aready be running in time to avoid this), but this seems like a horrible bodge. How is compiz normally started when it hasn't been crippled?

Does anyone know what the bug(s) that resulted in the compiz team blacklisting the FOSS ati driver are? They must be pretty nasty for them to effectively boot out a large number of satisfied users to avoid dealing with them?

* - Hardy Heron is something of a disappointment for me. I recklessly upgraded from Gutsy Gibbon (after a wait to let early issues be sorted) having got used to Ubuntu releases being really solid. The things that really matter work, but it's pretty ragged round the edges

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbeaumont View Post
    I could put the command to start compiz from bashrc (not sure if that will cause the screen to blank and redraw still, or if compiz will aready be running in time to avoid this), but this seems like a horrible bodge. How is compiz normally started when it hasn't been crippled?
    Following the sticky at the top of this forum, you should be able to put SKIP_CHECKS="yes" in a config file and then compiz will skip the blacklist check. In that case it'll behave exactly as if your card wasn't blacklisted.

Does anyone know what the bug(s) that resulted in the compiz team blacklisting the FOSS ati driver are? They must be pretty nasty for them to effectively boot out a large number of satisfied users to avoid dealing with them?
    All sorts of things, from X crashes to the system hard-locking. Furthermore, it was determined that the PCIID of the cards was an inaccurate guide for determining whether a card would exhibit these bugs or not, so it wasn't possible to just disable compiz on the cards with problems. The thinking was that the inconvenience of having to explicitly disable the blacklist would be better than accidentally missing one of these problem cards, and the system locking up on a semi-regular basis.
    Last edited by RAOF; May 15th, 2008 at 02:52 AM.
    Remember: if your problem is not described on a Launchpad bug, it can only be fixed by accident!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Well my system is usable under compiz and GTK. It seems to be emerald and the theme I was using that pushes it over the edge!

I know that silly effects shouldn't make such a difference but it is surprising how used to them you get. But I got most of what I need with compiz/gtk.

I'm thinking of trying out another linux distro though. Perhaps Debian or Fedora. But I will check that my laptop is compatible with whatever I choose. Then again maybe I will stick with Ubuntu as switching OSs might really screw things up!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The method by RAOF worked perfectly for me.
    Peace be with you,

Br. Jack+, LC

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RAOF View Post
    Following the sticky at the top of this forum, you should be able to put SKIP_CHECKS="yes" in a config file and then compiz will skip the blacklist check. In that case it'll behave exactly as if your card wasn't blacklisted.
    Okay - I'll give that a try. The first post states that that workaround has been deprecated in favour of the manual one. If it actually works better then why? I can see that trying the first method before editing the configuration file is wise, as if it does go wrong your computer will still work properly next time you start it, but maybe the original version should be 'step two' rather than deprecated?

Quote Originally Posted by RAOF View Post
    All sorts of things, from X crashes to the system hard-locking. Furthermore, it was determined that the PCIID of the cards was an inaccurate guide for determining whether a card would exhibit these bugs or not, so it wasn't possible to just disable compiz on the cards with problems. The thinking was that the inconvenience of having to explicitly disable the blacklist would be better than accidentally missing one of these problem cards, and the system locking up on a semi-regular basis.
    Fair enough...that seems like a reasonable basis!

It seems like the issue is more poor communication than anything - it's very frustrating to 'upgrade' your system and find it doesn't work as well as before. Ideally the upgrade wizard should have warned about reduced functionality and how to test compiz and permanently enable it if it worked (preferably via a configuration dialogue for the benefit of users who are scared of editing files, since Ubuntu is certainly easy enough for them these days).

Of course, the ideal solution would be to fix the bugs, but I realise that's not controlled by the compiz team, though maybe Ubuntu could have found the resources to do something about it.

In some ways it's not so much irritating on my own account - this laptop is a tool, and the eye candy isn't necessary at all - but because it's what seems to sell linux. I've run linux for years, and windows users have generally been unimpressed. They really don't care that it's faster and more stable, but since gutsy quite a few have been very impressed by how much slicker and more attractive linux is (and that includes vista users).

Beans
    Distro

Okay - I'll give that a try.
    Nope - that has no effect whatsoever on my machine

Beans
    Distro

Nope - that has no effect whatsoever on my machine
    Just sat down and looked at what the replacement fix actually does (yes, I know... ). All it does is place the same switch in a user specific file instead of the global one. So it's not that surprising that which method is used makes no difference to whether compiz starts or not...

So why doesn't compiz start?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast