Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

I'm afraid that didn't help. Still no fancy effects.
    I wonder why it's not working as both installations went without a hitch. I guess I'll have to work on it a bit more. Thanks for your help anyway.
    I came across a thread which I missed before, and compiz is working now. it's http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766212 in case anybody comes here with the same problem as I did.
    Last edited by BoardStupid; April 27th, 2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Inserting solution/link

Beans

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Maybe some of you might find this usefull:

If you want to get the cube, and if you get this:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package compizconfig-settings-manager

when using this command:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

you might want to run:

sudo aptitude update

THIS WILL INSTALL SOME PACKAGES SO THAT YOU CAN USE THE CUBE!

enjoy... and thanks to Rocket2DMn

Beans
    Hidden!

Adding the SKIP_CHECKS="yes" did work for me, still I wanted to give some feedback. I have a ATI Radeon Mobility M6 and use the ati driver which is white listed.

From glxinfo I know that:

direct rendering: Yes
    server glx extensions: ... GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, ...

But running compiz --replace will fail the texture_from_pixmap extension test.

Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.

Then it will failover to indirect rendering:

Trying again with indirect rendering:
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
    Checking for non power of two support: present.
    Checking for Composite extension: present.
    Comparing resolution (1024x768) to maximum 3D texture size (1024): Passed.
    Checking for nVidia: not present.
    Checking for FBConfig: present.
    Checking for Xgl: not present.

This happens because the check is done with:

if [ $(glxinfo | grep GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap -c ) -gt 2 ]; ...

So maybe the glxinfo part has changed and the compiz people did not update their script for the new 1.4 Xserver.

There is also a small problem with gconf:
    Starting gtk-window-decorator
    GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly.

This seems to be because ./gconf/apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge does not exist, but is mentioned in ./gconf/apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/%gconf.xml

content of %gconf.xml:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gconf>
    <entry name="initiate_edge" mtime="1193157882" type="list" ltype="string">
    </entry>
    <entry name="initiate_bell" mtime="1193157882" type="bool" value="false">
    </entry>
    </gconf>

so it doesn't like to have empty list of strings. Don't know what to put in it, so suggestions are welcome.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, seems a little buggy sometimes, I have seen people with the pixmap and initiate_edge problem. However, as long as it works, it should be OK. I had one user reinstall compiz and that fixed the initiate edge problem for him/her (since compiz wouldn't even load), but for another user, it failed, so who knows. I will keep looking into these problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krugger View Post
    Adding the SKIP_CHECKS="yes" did work for me, still I wanted to give some feedback. I have a ATI Radeon Mobility M6 and use the ati driver which is white listed.

From glxinfo I know that:

direct rendering: Yes
    server glx extensions: ... GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, ...

But running compiz --replace will fail the texture_from_pixmap extension test.

Then it will failover to indirect rendering:

Comparing resolution (1024x768) to maximum 3D texture size (1024): Passed.

This happens because the check is done with:

if [ $(glxinfo | grep GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap -c ) -gt 2 ]; ...

So maybe the glxinfo part has changed and the compiz people did not update their script for the new 1.4 Xserver.

There is also a small problem with gconf:
    Starting gtk-window-decorator
    GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly.

This seems to be because ./gconf/apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge does not exist, but is mentioned in ./gconf/apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/%gconf.xml

content of %gconf.xml:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gconf>
    <entry name="initiate_edge" mtime="1193157882" type="list" ltype="string">
    </entry>
    <entry name="initiate_bell" mtime="1193157882" type="bool" value="false">
    </entry>
    </gconf>

so it doesn't like to have empty list of strings. Don't know what to put in it, so suggestions are welcome.
    Maybe you should report this to the people making compiz

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by neyuru View Post
    Maybe you should report this to the people making compiz
    They are not likely to help since they don't support the open source ati driver. Remember, we are using a workaround. With any luck though, you might be able to get a developer to at least look at it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks! The solution with SKIP_CHECKS="yes" worked for me. I'm using xubuntu, compiz worked flawless with 7.10 and now again in 8.04.

I don't actually understand why my card is forbidden to run compiz by default. I think a bit more verbose output from compiz would make sense, until now I thought it was my driver or xserver setup. To the developers: JUST TELL IT'S TURNED OFF FOR THE INSTALLED GRAPHICS CARD! That would have saved about two hours on my account. Well, now I could have wobbly windows again, if I'd like to.

Otherwise: Thanks to all who made 8.04 possible!

Beans

I don't know if this helps anyone or not, but as I was trouble-shooting getting compiz to work (along with resolving the "Desktop effects could not be enabled" when switching from None to Normal effects), I discovered I had two sets of kernel modules installed:

linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-16-generic

and

linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-*-generic

Both of which had ati drivers. I removed the 2.6.22 restricted modules (which were probably for Gutsy) and rebooted. Everything appears to work again, I can toggle effects off/on and all my compiz stuff seems to be working again.

This worked for me ... your mileage may vary.

Beans

Have problems as well, please pardon me if I misread or missed something said earlier in these posts, I did read them.

Running Ubuntu 8.04 on Acer Ferrari 4000 notebook that has ATI X700.
    I enabled the ATI accelerated graphics driver as well which seemed to work well as 3d gaming is great (not sure if this has anything to do with compiz though lol)

This is the console log:

$ compiz --replace
    Detected PCI ID for VGA: 01:00.0 0300: 1002:5653 (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Comparing resolution (1280x800) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post
    I don't know if this helps anyone or not, but as I was trouble-shooting getting compiz to work (along with resolving the "Desktop effects could not be enabled" when switching from None to Normal effects), I discovered I had two sets of kernel modules installed:

linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-16-generic

and

linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-*-generic

Both of which had ati drivers. I removed the 2.6.22 restricted modules (which were probably for Gutsy) and rebooted. Everything appears to work again, I can toggle effects off/on and all my compiz stuff seems to be working again.

This worked for me ... your mileage may vary.
    Thank you for the feedback, that sounds like it could be useful for others having trouble after a dist upgrade. If you have any other threads in which that method has worked for people, please let me know and I will add it to the original post as a troubleshooting method (assuming it's a solid solution).
    Commands would probably be something like
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove linux-restricted-modules-*
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast