Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbeaumont View Post
    So why doesn't compiz start?
    All becomes clear(ish)! Although the advanced desktop features dialague showed my settings still selected, if I went into the basic default visual effects tab in the appearance dialogue no options where selected (this seems to be normal if you've customised your options from advanced desktop features). I selected 'None' then 'Extra', compiz is now enabled automatically when I log in. Evidentally the upgrade switched a flag somewhere.

There is a minor caveat to this - the apearance dialogue will change some of your advanced desktop features settings, which is annoying but easily fixed. I'm sure there will be a simple config file flag which can be changed instead of this - anyone know where it lives?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbeaumont View Post
    All becomes clear(ish)! Although the advanced desktop features dialague showed my settings still selected, if I went into the basic default visual effects tab in the appearance dialogue no options where selected (this seems to be normal if you've customised your options from advanced desktop features). I selected 'None' then 'Extra', compiz is now enabled automatically when I log in. Evidentally the upgrade switched a flag somewhere.

Ah, OK. This would seem to be a bug in the Desktop Effects code. It looks like it's got confused somewhere and ended up in an inconsistent state (one of the "None", ..., "Extra" options should have been selected )
    Remember: if your problem is not described on a Launchpad bug, it can only be fixed by accident!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

...well, after scrutinizing this (and other) threads, it seems RAOF's workaround did the trick for my ATI Radeon 320M card....(thanks RAOF)
    ...of course you can't have the best of both worlds, so when "Effects" are On everything suddenly goes into s_l_o_w__m_o_t_i_o_n....(during my waiting intervals I am entertained by a nice greying of the active window....) including scrolling etc, etc,
    Still, as people above emphasised, it's only eye-candy and it doesn't reduce the real value and quality of ubuntu... It's just a small P.I.A....
    -------------------
    I am using a NEC Versa M320 laptop with 1GB RAM and the above mentioned ATI, with a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 dual-booting with *******XP SP3. Hardy Heron was installed via Wubi (no partition)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

just wanted to step in and say thanks Rocket2DMn for this fantastic howto and the continued support in this thread.

Beans

So I would love to get anyone's ideas for troubleshooting my machine.
    I've used this howto, but still pretty green to Hardy and Ubuntu in general.
    I am having problems with Firefox, as others have, scrolling really slowly, and Im wondering if the Segmentation faults Im getting below, have anything to do with it. Funny thing is, in xorg.conf, in the Device portion, doesnt list ATI as the driver being used... coincidence?
    Here's what I've gotten...
    Help!

Code:
    todd@todd-laptop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 02)
    todd@todd-laptop:~$ compiz --replace
    Checking for Xgl: not present. 
    Found laptop using ati driver. 
    SKIP_CHECKS is yes, so continuing despite problems.
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: Segmentation fault
    present. 
    Checking for non power of two support: Segmentation fault
    present. 
    Checking for Composite extension: present. 
    Segmentation fault
    Comparing resolution (1024x768) to maximum 3D texture size (1024): Passed.
    Checking for nVidia: not present. 
    Checking for FBConfig: Segmentation fault
    present. 
    Segmentation fault

Beans

Red face Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket2DMn View Post
    I'm not sure what those font problems are, but I don't think it is an issue, it seems like it may have created the correct stuff for you. For the rest of the output, I got the same thing, I think this is just normal terminal output.
    You should be able to use CF now. You can setup 4 workspaces by right clicking the workspace switcher applet in the bottom panel and hitting Preferences. 4 workspaces is typical, though it started me with only 2. You can then enable the cube and other desktop effects using compizconfig-settings-manager - note that it will prompt you to disable Desktop Wall if you enabled the Desktop Cube.

Again, I suggest making launchers in your panels to enable/disable compiz so you can avoid having to run these commands in terminal every time you want to change.
    Right click the Panel area and hit Add to Panel, choose Custom Application Launcher and add the compiz/metacity commands from there.
    Mine still doesnt work. it just keeps logging off even if i change the settings to normal. in compiz fusion icon window manager is selected as compiz but still it doesnt work. i have an ati x200 onboard gpu.

I dont have the default drivers but have installed a driver with filename <ati-driver-installer-8.42.3-x86.x86_64.run>.

Will uninstalling it work? How do i do it. I m stlii new to linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arunthegr8 View Post
    Mine still doesnt work. it just keeps logging off even if i change the settings to normal. in compiz fusion icon window manager is selected as compiz but still it doesnt work. i have an ati x200 onboard gpu.

I dont have the default drivers but have installed a driver with filename <ati-driver-installer-8.42.3-x86.x86_64.run>.

Will uninstalling it work? How do i do it. I m stlii new to linux.
    Hi,
    Those drivers that you installed from the .run file are restricted fglrx drivers, not the open source ones which this thread is geared toward. I suggest removing the drivers you installed with that .run file (it may have an option in the installer, or you may be able to do like "ati-driver-installer-8.42.3-x86.x86_64.run --uninstall" in terminal. If your card uses restricted drivers, you should try enabling them from System->Administration->Hardware Drivers. Alternatively, you can use EnvyNG to automatically detect which drivers you should use and have it install them for you - http://www.albertomilone.com/envyngfaq.html#A
    Otherwise, you need to start a new thread to get support for using restricted drivers.
    Good luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ToddMax View Post
    So I would love to get anyone's ideas for troubleshooting my machine.
    I've used this howto, but still pretty green to Hardy and Ubuntu in general.
    I am having problems with Firefox, as others have, scrolling really slowly, and Im wondering if the Segmentation faults Im getting below, have anything to do with it. Funny thing is, in xorg.conf, in the Device portion, doesnt list ATI as the driver being used... coincidence?
    Here's what I've gotten...
    Help!

Code:
    todd@todd-laptop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 02)
    todd@todd-laptop:~$ compiz --replace
    Found laptop using ati driver. 
    SKIP_CHECKS is yes, so continuing despite problems.
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: Segmentation fault
    present. 
    Checking for non power of two support: Segmentation fault
    present. 
    Checking for Composite extension: present. 
    Segmentation fault
    Comparing resolution (1024x768) to maximum 3D texture size (1024): Passed.
    Checking for nVidia: not present. 
    Checking for FBConfig: Segmentation fault
    present. 
    Segmentation fault
    Sorry for the delayed response.
    Those segmentation faults are not good, you may want to consider reinstalling compiz:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall compiz
    If that doesn't help, it seems like you have a bigger problem, esp. since you said you are having other problems, too.
    If you have xserver-xgl installed, you will want to uninstall that, which may help with your scrolling problem in firefox:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xgl
    For your xorg.conf, don't worry - that is normal for Hardy, which uses a newer version of X that relies more on autodetection rather than xorg.conf. We can't complain too much, this is the first version of Ubuntu that these Radeon 9000s worked out of the box with. You can post your xorg.conf file if you'd like:
    Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Beans

Sorry for the delayed response.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall compiz
    No problem.. I just appreciate the help...Done!

If you have xserver-xgl installed, you will want to uninstall that, which may help with your scrolling problem in firefox:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xgl
    Done! So far, no noticable improvement scrolling

You can post your xorg.conf file if you'd like:
    Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Here we go...
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
    	Driver		"kbd"
    	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
    	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
    	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
    	Driver		"mouse"
    	Option		"CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Synaptics Touchpad"
    	Driver		"synaptics"
    	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
    	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
    	Option		"Protocol"		"auto-dev"
    	Option		"HorizEdgeScroll"	"0"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
    	Screen		"Default Screen"
    	InputDevice	"Synaptics Touchpad"
    EndSection

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK, that's pretty much what I expected would happen with those commands. Some people have been able to nail down their problems with FF, but others have not - there really isn't a one-solution-fits-all method of dealing with it. I suggest using the Search function on the forum to look for other people who have posted about FF being slow with scrolling, you will get a lot of hits. You can try some of the methods suggested, hopefully something will work. If not, I don't think you are alone.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast