Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixer always mute after reboot

Beans

Question Mixer always mute after reboot

This is not really a big deal, but whenever I reboot my system the mixer is always muted and the master volume turned down when I turn the computer back on.

I have to turn the mute off and turn up the master volume every time I reboot.

I just updated to Hardy Heron and this never happened in Gutsy Gibbon.

Beans

Re: Mixer always mute after reboot

Sorry to bring back a non-current thread.

I've had the same problem in debian sid, so I ran

Code:
    alsactl store
    http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L...5-06/1356.html

Hope it helps.

Beans

Yes. alsactl store will save the current alsamixer settings, but if you do not have sound upon rebooting your computer, you'll also need to run the following command:

Code:
    alsactl restore
    The above command will load the settings that were previously saved with alsactl store (which needs to be typed only once).

So here are the steps:
    1) open alsamixer and set the volumes you want;
    2) as root, type alsactl store;
    3) after booting up, type alsactl restore.

If you want to have alsactl restore started every time you boot up, you can always add it to your /etc/rc.local file (just put the command above the line that reads exit 0)

Good luck.
    Last edited by MrClearPore; July 3rd, 2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: More information added

Beans

got the same issue on xubuntu 9.04.

When I type 'sudo alsactl store' I get:
    E-core/util.c: home directory /home/yuka not ours.

Beans

I was with orengolan in #xubuntu when he was having this problem. I was having it too, recently, so I decided to look into it a little further, and found this...

##### WORK-AROUND FOR AUDIO PROBLEM #####
    1.) Manually adjust the mixer settings to something that is a good default for your audio needs. These settings will be loaded every time you restart your computer.
    2.) Change the file permissions for /var/lib/alsa/asound.state to enable read/write access for the group/others (open the folder in Thunar, then right-click the file, select properties, and go to the Permissions tab). If you don't do this, then the next step will give you a permission denied error.
    3.) Open up a terminal and enter the command "alsactl store" (without the quotes). This stores your mixer settings in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state for later use.
    4.) From The Xubuntu/Xfce menu, go to Settings and open Sessions and Startup. Go to the Application Autostart tab and click the Add button.
    5.) Enter the command "alsactl restore" (without the quotes) and the name and description of your choice. This causes the "alsactl restore" command to automatically run when you start your computer. The command restores you mixer settings from /var/lib/alsa/asound.state where you saved them earlier.
    I'm going to click "Problem Solved" instead of "I Still Need an Answer" because even though this is a work-around and not a true solution, it is sufficient for my needs, and I no longer need an answer.
    Original Post: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/68564

I tested this in my XUbuntu, and it worked perfectly. My sound is no longer muted.

The above is basically the same as MrClearPore's solution, except for the fact that CyrusCT mentions the need to give the group "others" read/write permission to the file /var/lib/alsa/asound.state, which is why orengolan got the error they did. I gave that permission, ran the "sudo alsactl store" afterwards, and it worked just fine. Put a "alsactl restore" command in my Startup Applications, rebooted, and my sound was not muted upon boot.

I hope this helped! ^-^

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by orengolan View Post
    When I type 'sudo alsactl store' I get:
    E-core/util.c: home directory /home/yuka not ours.
    The problem here is 'sudo' changes the current user, but not the environment (like the 'current home directory' $HOME).

Perhaps simply try running it without 'sudo'? If you really require root, the '-H' switch looks useful.

Beans

yeah, it was a permissions issue.
    this solved it:
    sudo chown 777 /var/lib/alsa/asound.state

thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by orengolan View Post
    yeah, it was a permissions issue.
    this solved it:
    sudo chown 777 /var/lib/alsa/asound.state

thanks!
    Most helpful thread, solved my issues but the following command will provide all users r/w access to the file (correcting the above)

sudo chmod 666 /var/lib/alsa/asound.state

Matt

Beans

Alrighty!

On Xbuntu9 the following order applies:

1- In the terminal:
    sudo chmod 666 /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
    2- set volume level
    3- In the terminal:
    alsactl store
    4- In the terminal:
    sudo mousepad /etc/rc.local
    Mousepad is a text writer. It can be replaced by others like 'nano' (without bracklets) if you prefer those.

5- Exit mousepad (nano, or text editor)
    Reboot Linux to test.

Just a question, do we need edit a certain script to run or enable rc.local, because within the file there's written:
    "In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution bits."

With the 'execution bits' do they mean just to type a line, or do they mean to enable the loading of this file in another file?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm now running Xubuntu 9.10 and had the sound muting problem, but I was also suffering from crappy sound . . . high frequencies did not sound correct. I tried the edit to /etc/rc.local and that sort of worked to correct the muting problem, but the sound was still crummy.

What I found was, and I think this will work better in Xubuntu than other Ubuntu, that removing Pulseaudio solved all the problems.

Look at post #4 in this thread and give it a whirl. Note: Becuase I'm running Xubuntu I didn't need to follow the last couple steps to install another mixer program . . . the one included with Xfce still works just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast