Thread: Removing Evolution

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

(SOLVED) Removing Evolution

Not really an installation or an upgrade, but removal is the flip side of that coin so I figured this would be the best place to ask.

The short version is this: I'm a longtime Thunderbird/Lightning user. I tried Evolution for a week and found that it's not as much to my liking as Thunderbird/Lightning and I don't need the groupware tools. I'd like to take Evolution out, but when I try to remove some of the extra Evolution pieces I'm told I can't do it without removing gnome-desktop. For obvious reasons, this sounds like a bad idea.

How much of Evolution (and which components in particular) can I safely remove without corrupting my Gutsy/GNOME installation?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Foster Grant; July 8th, 2008 at 02:51 AM.
    Direct complaints and/or flames to /dev/null for faster service.
    Everyone who chanted "Drill, baby, drill!" in 2008 now has to report to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico for oil-spill cleanup duty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Removing Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Foster Grant View Post
    Not really an installation or an upgrade, but removal is the flip side of that coin so I figured this would be the best place to ask.

The short version is this: I'm a longtime Thunderbird/Lightning user. I tried Evolution for a week and found that it's not as much to my liking as Thunderbird/Lightning and I don't need the groupware tools. I'd like to take Evolution out, but when I try to remove some of the extra Evolution pieces I'm told I can't do it without removing gnome-desktop. For obvious reasons, this sounds like a bad idea.

How much of Evolution (and which components in particular) can I safely remove without corrupting my Gutsy/GNOME installation?

Thanks in advance.
    Is it trying to dump GNOME-Desktop-Data, or GNOME Desktop Environment?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I apologize; bad error code. (I was working from memory; damn senility setting in! )

Attempting to remove evolution-webcal makes Synaptic offer to remove ubuntu-desktop.
    Direct complaints and/or flames to /dev/null for faster service.
    Everyone who chanted "Drill, baby, drill!" in 2008 now has to report to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico for oil-spill cleanup duty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Use Synaptic Package Manager to remove Evolution. It's one of the first things I remove after a fresh install and this hasn't failed yet.
    Registered Ubuntu user #14359.

Beans

It's just removing a metapackage, not Ubuntu or Gnome. It's OK to do!

CD
    Administrator of various cast-off debris, most of it running either Ubuntu or Debian