Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help ME!!! GRUB error 22! :(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Angry Please Help ME!!! GRUB error 22! :(

I'm a Linux newbie! I have used Windows all my life...

Well all this started when looking to a friend's blog... he said ubuntu was my best bet... i installed it in my desktop computer and the first issue i had: Ubuntu vanished my windows vista os!!! ok ok no big deal... it was my fault! (I accidentally chose that option )

2 days ago, while experimenting, i installed Ubuntu in the same computer BUT in another partition... (NO Reinstallation!) so... i had my two OSes (both were ubuntu) and one was of 73 gb and the other was of 55...

I installed gparted in one of the ubuntu OSes and deleted the partions of the other Ubuntu OS so that i could only have ONE OS... When i rebooted my computer, a Grub error 22 appears and the booting fails!!!! Now I just can't boot my computer, it's useless!!!

I've even tried to reinstall Ubuntu via Live CD but it doesn't boot at all... again the same error..... (does it have anything to do that i have another iso file in the same Live CD??)

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Please Help ME!!! GRUB error 22! :(

Maybe some ramfs stuck. Disconnect all power and remove internal battery for a short while. You may need to move a jumper pin for a few seconds to clear cmos...check motherboard info in owners manual.
    Simply removing the battery for a few minutes should do it...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by spiderbatdad View Post
    Maybe some ramfs stuck. Disconnect all power and remove internal battery for a short while. You may need to move a jumper pin for a few seconds to clear cmos...check motherboard info in owners manual.
    excuse me... but could you please simplify this for me? I'm sorry but i don't understand very well i'm new to this!

Beans

Something tells me the Ubuntu partition you deleted was the one you installed first and now you still have the one you installed second. Well hate to tell you this one is your fault too since Grub ( the boot loader ) keeps files in the /boot/grub/ folder of the partition you first installed linux on with it. so you wiped that out more than likely. It is fixable by reinstalling Grub and while I am not the best to tell you how, someone will chime in and answer that for you I am sure.

Just be careful in the future, but I do the same kind of stuff allot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

To force boot from the LiveCD, usually, most PCs have a certain key to access a boot menu, it's usually F8.

After the logo of your computer (or check, or whatever it does when turning on), try hitting F8.
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    -Bill Gates

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nicedude View Post
    Something tells me the Ubuntu partition you deleted was the one you installed first and now you still have the one you installed second. Well hate to tell you this one is your fault too since Grub ( the boot loader ) keeps files in the /boot/grub/ folder of the partition you first installed linux on with it. so you wiped that out more than likely. It is fixable by reinstalling Grub and while I am not the best to tell you how, someone will chime in and answer that for you I am sure.

Just be careful in the future, but I do the same kind of stuff allot
    ooh! thanks! but one thing i'm sure of is that i deleted my 2nd ubuntu os because i remember the fist one had the 55 gb! And with the gparted i deleted the 73 gb partition
    what can i do now?!

Beans

restore your grub loader, just follow these steps
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

sam

Beans
    Distro

there is still the message of:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading...

Error 22
    _

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ALex! View Post
    there is still the message of:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading...

Error 22
    _
    even after restoring grub by following the above link instructions?

Beans

hi alex.

take a deep breath. this has happened to me numerous times, and i've recovered through a little bit of work.

sam_delta pointed you to a great review of how to get back on track.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast