Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is my CPU suppose to be this hot

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Is my CPU suppose to be this hot

Quote Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
    This is on Vista.
    Edit : With a book and an angle, under the same circumstances (WMP and surfing the net) it's around 60 C (59-63)ish. Is that normal?
    These are normal temperatures for a CPU. My temps are around 60C too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Are you sure? because I heard 30-60 is normal.

Beans

What program can i use to display the temperatures on ubuntu for dell laptpos?

On vista, my latop goes over 70C on startup, it cools down to around 50s-60s after a minute or two.

Beans
    Distro

I used Conky to display that stuff on ubuntu.
    Core temp on vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Here's some info for you(hope this helps)

os[Linux 2.6.24-16-generic i686] distro[Debian lenny/sid] cpu[2 x AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 (AuthenticAMD) @ 800MHz] mem[Physical: 882.7MB, 75.9% free] disk[Total: 90.8GB, 68.8% free] video[ATI Technologies Inc RS485 [Radeon Xpress 1100 IGP]] sound[HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB]

top - 20:34:02 up 1:12, 2 users, load average: 0.43, 0.57, 0.54
    Tasks: 117 total, 1 running, 116 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    Cpu(s): 12.2%us, 2.6%sy, 0.5%ni, 80.2%id, 3.9%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.4%si, 0.0%st
    Mem: 903892k total, 891780k used, 12112k free, 24088k buffers
    Swap: 1052216k total, 16k used, 1052200k free, 534208k cached

fluid@wasted:~$ sensors
    k8temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    Core0 Temp: +50.0°C
    Core1 Temp: +43.0°C

fluid@wasted:~$

This is @ 800mhz.. with xchat, pigdin, evolution, Transmission(helping out for the torrent people out there), banshee playing music.. and browsing. I do have the Notebook Coolre ZM-NC1000.. so it's kind of cheating, though. Keeps it 4-6f cooler all the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by thebigham View Post
    What program can i use to display the temperatures on ubuntu for dell laptpos?

On vista, my latop goes over 70C on startup, it cools down to around 50s-60s after a minute or two.
    A simple way is "sudo apt-get install lm-sensors" - and then just type "sensors" in any terminal, and it'll output like:

Code:
    fluid@wasted:~$ sensors
    k8temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    Core0 Temp:  +50.0°C                                    
    Core1 Temp:  +43.0°C                                    

fluid@wasted:~$

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think the surface might be playing a big role in your issue. My core2duo laptop generally idles around 40-50C on a glass table. I have noticed when I move it to a leather couch for surfing the web that it jumps about 10-15 degrees, and I can only assume it is because it doesn't vent as well. You can also use a program (i8kutils) to monitor temps and tell your fans when to kick in. This helped on my GFs Inspiron 1501 which seemed to run unusually hot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Everyone with a Core 2 CPU which goes any higher than 50 C should be warned, according to Intel.

The 50 C is the top temperature that those chips can support safely without suffering thermal harm, any hotter than that steadly decreases your processor life spectatives.

However, thats mostly for the desktop chips like the E6600 or the E6750, also it might be different for the E8X00 processors.

If your laptop is a little older, you should take it to replace the thermal compound between the chip and the heatsink, also you should check for all your fans working and looking into BIOS for fan control.

Myself, I have some experience with AMD processors temperature, which tolerate a little higher temperature (60 C Windsor vs 50 C Conroe) than the Intel ones, but because they are different, it is not that one is better than the other in thermal efficiency.

Beans
    Distro

it's not too old
    my BIOS is a Toshiba BIOS and its completely useless (no useful settings)

Also isn't the safe limits 100C?

Also I tried installing sensors but this came up

Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
    Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.
    I ran sensors-detect as root, and said yes to everything, still shows that message

Nevermind, I rebooted and works.
    Last edited by InsertNameHere; April 26th, 2008 at 01:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by cafg10 View Post
    Everyone with a Core 2 CPU which goes any higher than 50 C should be warned, according to Intel.

The 50 C is the top temperature that those chips can support safely without suffering thermal harm, any hotter than that steadly decreases your processor life spectatives.

However, thats mostly for the desktop chips like the E6600 or the E6750, also it might be different for the E8X00 processors.

If your laptop is a little older, you should take it to replace the thermal compound between the chip and the heatsink, also you should check for all your fans working and looking into BIOS for fan control.

Myself, I have some experience with AMD processors temperature, which tolerate a little higher temperature (60 C Windsor vs 50 C Conroe) than the Intel ones, but because they are different, it is not that one is better than the other in thermal efficiency.
    You have proof of this. I have always read from Intel it was 60-70c was fine for load, 80C was too high.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast