Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is my CPU suppose to be this hot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Is my CPU suppose to be this hot

Hi,
    I have a Toshiba Satellite A100, I was wondering if my CPU tempature is normal, the CPU is Core 2 Duo T5500.

I use Core Temp on Vista (waiting for hardy) I heard the safe limits is 30-60 C, but mine is reaching 70s-90s just by listening to music on WMP and sufing the net.

I have this leathery table that I use this laptop on, the laptop has legs that are suppose to lift it from the table, because there's a cooling vent under it (I think) but as with the table I'm using, the vent is completely blocked. There's another vent on the right side of the laptop.

Some hours after operation (vista) I can feel it getting extremely hot, under the laptop.

Can someone tell me if this is normal??

(useually, with the leathery table, it's 80 degrees, but if I lift it with my hand for 20 mins I can reduce it to 60-65, but 60's is still pretty high from what I've read.
    Last edited by InsertNameHere; April 24th, 2008 at 03:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is my CPU suppose to be this hot

HI and I have found it is a great investment for a laptop cooler. They are about 20 bucks and keeps the laptop cool

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't have a Toshiba but my HP/compaq was heating up too. I upgraded the bios and that solved the problem. your manufacturer's website would most likely have the latest bios.
    Gunashekar
    "where knowledge is free"
    Humanity Networks
    Chennai India

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You need to cool that sucker down!!! 70C is a a really good stopping point. But 90C!!! 100C is the boiling point of water. A processor should NEVER get that hot. So yes, do what gun said and also, take a book an set it your laptop up on it as so that is at an angel. This will provide airflow under the laptop and cool it. Also try to find a tutorial on how to clean your laptops heat sink. That could be another reason why it is getting so hot.

Beans

Is it the OS that is making the laptop hot? My laptop has been running XP Pro for 3 years. It never ran this hot. I just installed Ubuntu yesterday and it keeps rebooting because it's exceeding 83c? Why would Ubuntu make my laptop get this hot?

Beans
    Distro

This is on Vista.
    I'll download Ubuntu 8.04 today and install conky and see how it goes.
    I'll take a book and set it at an angle and see how it goes today.

I brought this thing a year ago, it shouldn't be dirty (yet), I take good care of it.

When windows boots up it reports 50 degrees (47-51).

Also my BIOS is latest from Toshiba.

Edit : With a book and an angle, under the same circumstances (WMP and surfing the net) it's around 60 C (59-63)ish. Is that normal?
    Last edited by InsertNameHere; April 24th, 2008 at 08:37 PM.

clean the cpu heatsink, and run 'top' in the terminal to see what aplications are running. are the fan(s) working?
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro

I'm currently not running ubuntu (still downloading hardy)
    I'm running vista (I know it sucks)

I'm starting to wonder if Vista had anything to do with it, anyways, I'll probably install Hardy tonight and see what it says.

Erm. also when I turn on a visualization called G-Force in WMP, it skyrockets to 80-85 C.
    Last edited by InsertNameHere; April 24th, 2008 at 09:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

it doesn't have anythign to do with vista. Your laptop is not venting well, either due to dust clogging the intakes, or it not being on a surface that allows proper venting. Does you fan run when these temps are reported? How are you getting these temps in Windows?

Beans
    Distro

I can hear the fans run, and I'm using coretemp.
    The fans are running, I can hear the noise.
    Also it didn't use to be this hot in XP

Also, the more programs I ran the higher the tempature gets, the reaction is almost immediate.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast