Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making shortcuts?

Beans

Question making shortcuts?

i got version 0.99.01 linux of a 3d mesh installer, Wings3D, from wings3d.com. I opened the .run file, (i think it was a run, maybe after extracting a .bz or something) and it installed to /home/zopiac. all looks good. the thing is, it did not add a shortcut anywhere, and im still a n00b at linux extensions. could someone help?

by the way, i have 0.98.x installed from the add/remove app, but i wanted to get this new(er) version.

thx in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: making shortcuts?

Not familiar with the program you've installed. If you can launch it from the terminal with a ./filename command, you can usually create a panel launcher by right clicking on the panel and adding an application launcher. The command is the path to the run file.

Beans

uhm what?

Beans

If you already know the command to run it, IE /home/user/program/program.run just right click the desktop and select "Create Launcher" and then as the command put the path to the run file.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by damis648 View Post
    If you already know the command to run it, IE /home/user/program/program.run just right click the desktop and select "Create Launcher" and then as the command put the path to the run file.
    the thing is, i dont. all i know 9is that in /home/zopiac/wings-0.99.01 there are the following files: AUTHORS, license.terms, README, vsnn, and wings. i believe the first three are just text files, nothing else. the last two, i dont know. there are two folders: bin and lib. bin has a few files in it, nothing that can be opened, that i know of, and lib has a bunch more, without knowledge of open-ability.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Hmm, sorry. I was trying to give an example of how to create a launcher for a program that has a binary run file. Let's say the program is in a folder in your home directory, or any directory for that matter. In that folder is a big blue diamond thingy with a program name under it. If you click it, it should offer you the opportunity to run the program, unless it has not been made executable. But that's another issue. So, let's say the name of the program is RunMe...it's in the folder runme2 in your home directory.

I was thinking...you right click on a panel (top or bottom of desktop) you select 'add to panel.' Then choose, 'custom application launcher.' Click 'Add.' Give the thing a name. What goes in the command area is the path to the binart. In the case of this example: /home/your_user_name/runme2/RunMe
    Et, voila! A launcher should appear in the panel and it should start the program when clicked. If you want to change the icon you can...but that comes after the thing works.

Beans

ok try this, open terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and type in
    Code:
    cd /home/zopiac/wings-0.99.01/
    then type

Code:
    chmod a+x vssn
    and
    Code:
    chmod a+x wings
    then type
    Code:
    ./vsnn
    and
    Code:
    ./wings
    and tell me what each one does

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by damis648 View Post
    ok try this, open terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and type in
    Code:
    cd /home/zopiac/wings-0.99.01/
    then type

Code:
    chmod a+x vssn
    and
    Code:
    chmod a+x wings
    then type
    Code:
    ./vsnn
    and
    Code:
    ./wings
    and tell me what each one does
    zopiac@zopiac:~/wings-0.99.01$ chmod a+x vssn
    chmod: cannot access `vssn': No such file or directory

Beans

hello?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What are the file's name?
    Code:
    ls -l ~/wings-0.99.01
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast