Thread: Increase root.disk size?

Beans

Increase root.disk size?

I just downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 last weekend, and I've been having fun learning about how to do things in it. I installed it in Windows, and not on its own real partition. I originally thought that I would only need about 5GB, because I thought that most programs could be run off my NTFS XP setup. Wine requires many programs to be installed on the root.disk in order to work. I want to know if I can increase the size of the root.disk from 5GB to 20GB without reinstalling Ubuntu. It took me days to get all of my drivers working (Wireless was a killer!) and I would rather not go through all of that again. If my only option is re-installation, is there any way to save what I have done (drivers/software) on this installation and put it into a new installation?

Answer bolded question if you can help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Increase root.disk size?

Quote Originally Posted by Champers View Post
    I just downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 last weekend, and I've been having fun learning about how to do things in it. I installed it in Windows, and not on its own real partition. I originally thought that I would only need about 5GB, because I thought that most programs could be run off my NTFS XP setup. Wine requires many programs to be installed on the root.disk in order to work. I want to know if I can increase the size of the root.disk from 5GB to 20GB without reinstalling Ubuntu. It took me days to get all of my drivers working (Wireless was a killer!) and I would rather not go through all of that again. If my only option is re-installation, is there any way to save what I have done (drivers/software) on this installation and put it into a new installation?

Answer bolded question if you can help.
    If you have the ubuntu live cd, you can boot from that and resize the partition using gparted. Or you can use a cd like PartedMagic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Do you mean you used wubi to install? If so then try this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#he...e6bf70c6134b2b
    How To Use Ubuntu - Tips and guides for ubuntu
    How To Make A Band - Tips and ideas for anyone in a band

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tatty View Post
    Do you mean you used wubi to install? If so then try this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#he...e6bf70c6134b2b
    Well, something went wrong with that and I can't boot Ubuntu now. I hear something about a release coming up soon? Maybe I'll just reinstall when that comes out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Champers View Post
    Well, something went wrong with that and I can't boot Ubuntu now. I hear something about a release coming up soon? Maybe I'll just reinstall when that comes out.
    Yep, next version (8.04) should be out sometime in the next day or so. I'd recommend getting that and doing a full installation to disk.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten