Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Dell's customized ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question about Dell's customized ubuntu

How long does it take Dell to release their customized install disks after a new release of Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Question about Dell's customized ubuntu

I don't remember exactly but think Dell 7.10 came out weeks later. I've a 1420n that came with 7.04 and waited for the Dell release before updating. Everything worked.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, how is your 1420N?

Beans
    Distro

1420n is way cool. I got the 9 cell battery as my only option which gives close to 5 hours run time. It's great not having to be obsessed with find AC to charge in my local Starbucks. The default sensitivity and acceleration setting for the touch pad were too slow for my taste. This is the only thing that sent me to configuration file editing. I'm very satisfied. I mostly use it for writing and web site development. I like the mat screen finish of the base model -- reflections are never a problem.
    Internet Coach & Writer

Beans
    Distro

That is great to hear! I just ordered one myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I personally prefer the non-Dell-customized version of Ubuntu. From my experience the only thing that the Dell version did was add more stuff to my repositories list, add more stuff onto my hard drive, and forced a stupid nvidia splash screen to pop up before the log-in splash screen. Right now, I'm running the beta version of Hardy, so obviously its completely non-Dell-customized and it runs just great with all my hardware (see signature) so you might want to try out both just to see if there's any reason to wait around for the Dell version.
    Dell XPS L502X, Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

I personally own a Inspiron 1420n and am currently using a install from Dell's custom Gutsy image. It works great. These custom images from Dell include additional drivers/packages for some of the Del's machines hardware that was not supported in the official Ubuntu releases. Dell released their Feisty image about a month after they began offering the pre-installed machines. The custom Gutsy image only took 3 weeks to be offered after Gutsy's official release. They seem to be doing a good job w/ these custom images and are getting them out in a reasonable amount of time, they not only include the additional drivers/packages but also implement whatever bug fixes have been discovered in the actual Ubuntu release as well.

This will be less and less of a issue as Ubuntu's kernel includes more and more of the Dell machines hardware. I know the blacklisting of the Intel X3100 chipset is rumored to be lifted in Hardy, so maybe we'll eventually reach a point where these custom images are no longer needed, but until that day I will use them. I tend to carry my custom Dell Ubuntu DVD around w/ me in case a quick re-install is ever needed. Be sure to check out Dell's Linux Wiki for any issues you may encounter and how to correct them. Congratulations on your new purchase and be sure to post if you run into any issues. =]
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans
    Distro

I ordered a Inspiron 1420N with:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500
    2GB, DDR2, 667MHz
    NVIDIA (R) GeForce TM Go 8400M GS

By the way you can turn off the Nvidia splash screen with an option in xorg.conf. Add this to your device section:

Code:
    Option "NoLogo" "true"
    Would this laptop be able to run Urban Terror or Warcraft 3 (through wine) acceptably? What version of Nvidia's drivers should I use?
    Last edited by shae; April 23rd, 2008 at 10:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro

The version instaled by the Restricted Manager in Ubuntu will do the job for you. Doing otherwise can cause you trouble later. http://winehq.org/ has lists of Windows software that run under wine. Check out package "wine-doors". It's available as a deb package at http://getdeb.net. It will make getting wine up and running much easier.
    Internet Coach & Writer

Beans
    Distro

I was just wondering if it would run well (FPS wise, etc.). I have no problems installing it; sorry for the mix up. What kind of trouble later are you talking about? Can Nvidia's kernel module use DKMS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast