Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what alternatives are there besides Gnome, KDE, fluxbox, XFCE, LXDE - what others ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Question what alternatives are there besides Gnome, KDE, fluxbox, XFCE, LXDE - what others ?

I am looking for a lightweight desktop environment other than Gnome, XFCE, fluxbox, LXDE, and KDE. something with alot of development will be nice. ideally lightweight. i tried LXDE and found that I did not like it because of the layout being similar to windows. fluxbox, haven't used it in years. i'm thinking that would be my favorite out of the ones i listed. i'm not really low on resources but what I would like accomplish is speed, being able to execute tasks quicky.

thank you
    Last edited by kraymore; April 23rd, 2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: what alternatives are there besides Gnome, KDE, fluxbox, XFCE, LXDE - what others

Enlightenment E17

Simply put, all eye candies possible without 3D accelerator cards

Beans

Re: what alternatives are there besides Gnome, KDE, fluxbox, XFCE, LXDE - what others

Openbox, PekWM, blackbox, awesome, TWM

But i'd go with Openbox - The Best

Beans

Openbox and Pekwm are, in my opinion, the nicest. For help to set these two up, see the links in my signature.

Other popular window managers are Icewm, FVWM, and jwm, and some of the tiling window managers (wmii, dwm, awesome, etc.)

For a full list of window managers, see http://gilesorr.com/wm/table.html

-
    Last edited by urukrama; April 23rd, 2008 at 08:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Technically, the "LXDE" mentioned earlier is already Openbox. Just bundled with a few extras, like a panel, desktop icons, and a text editor.

More just a Openbox with stuff pre-bundled than a separate Window Manager or Desktop environment.
    Linux Genuine Advantage: I am licensed!

Spouting mindless hatred of all things Microsoft since... ummm... never.

Beans

JWM is sweet, she's the new girl on the block that most light weight distro's are switching to. she's small, fantastic on resources, very customizable.

i love her, mine->
    Last edited by kerry_s; May 7th, 2008 at 12:23 AM.

Beans

I would also recommend E17. It does have the lack of a system tray, but it is extremely light weight, and allows people to have just as much eye candy as XFCE/KDE/GNOME.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kraymore View Post
    I am looking for a lightweight desktop environment other than Gnome, XFCE, fluxbox, LXDE, and KDE. something with alot of development will be nice. ideally lightweight. i tried LXDE and found that I did not like it because of the layout being similar to windows. fluxbox, haven't used it in years. i'm thinking that would be my favorite out of the ones i listed. i'm not really low on resources but what I would like accomplish is speed, being able to execute tasks quicky.

thank you
    For LXDE, the "DEFAULT" layout looks similar to Windows.
    However everything in it can be freely changed.
    The panel can be configured to mimic the layout of gnome or xfce.
    The window manager can be changed to anyone you like.
    I'll post some tutorials later when I have time to share with you
    how to make LXDE looks like the default Ubuntu with gnome.
    Well, here is a screenshot. Believe me, this is LXDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

FVWM-Crystal

Or just straight up FVWM. Takes a lot of learning to get working right but the results can be pretty ******* cool and it's blazing fast. I'm back to using Gnome after a 6month period where I flew around with all different desktop environments. I use XFCE on my laptop, however.

Beans

I don't think you can beat awesome window manager when it comes to speed and efficiency - http://awesome.naquadah.org/

(it has no desktop, only terminals and small menu bar)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast