Thread: PDA Troubles

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

PDA Troubles

Hullo, all,

Looking to get a PDA, but I'm worried about picking up something that will be completely Ubuntu incompatible. I scoured the incompatibility list, and couldn't find any of the products I'm interested in, but I just wanted to know if the forums had any suggestions.

I'm thinking of getting an old fashioned Palm TX (I know, it's ancient. But it's pretty much the last thing they made before everyone started switching over to cell-phone-combines like Blackberry, and that's not what I'm interested in). Also interesting is the Nokia Internet Tablet, which is a little more recent, but doesn't actually seem like it will meet my needs any more than the cheaper and nicer-looking Palm TX will.

I couldn't find it on the incompatibility list, but does anyone know it I'll run into huge problems trying to sync this thing with Ubuntu?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: PDA Troubles

Palm, in general, is the only PDA that is Linux friendly. HP is paying lip service to user converting to Linux, but nobody mans their help site for weeks! and nobody mans the Smart Phone site either!

Until PDA sales in the US reach higher figures (such as in the UK or Japan), you will see very little movement towards getting a Linux OS for a PDA that WORKS or can be installed easily. (most portability freaks in the US will opt for a laptop!)

(hence the need to keep a Windows computer around to be able to sync and service a Windows CE PDA!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: PDA Troubles

yes, the TX is kind of old, but it works quite well. I just picked one up a couple of months ago. I have no problems with sync in Ubuntu.

I am quite pleased with my TX and the way it integrates with my *nix laptop.

Just info for you. I do not work for Palm.
    HP Pavillion ZE5500 laptop
    ATI Radeon IGP 330M/340M/350M video card
    Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
    ......in other words, hardware that hates Ubuntu, but I am an Ubuntu addict.