Thread: hardy upgrade no dropdown menu

Beans

Unhappy hardy upgrade no dropdown menu

Hi I just upgraded to hardy (a bit too early I guess) and on reboot gdm does not show up menu dropdown, please help

just noticed that this happen on screen 0 but in the second monitor it works... I have separete X sessions in the two monitors, any idea?

it must be an xorg bug or something of that kind
    Last edited by gupi-gupi; April 24th, 2008 at 12:40 PM.

Beans

Re: hardy upgrade no dropdown menu

up

I tried almost anything I could think of, I replaced the xorg.conf with an old one, where the second screen was not added yet, but still when compiz start I get no menu dropdown in any application, please suggest me something, I'm open to experiment anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What video card have you got?

PC

Beans

nvidia GeForce 6600
    32 bit architecture
    hardy, just upgraded (that made the trouble)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In System->Administration

do you have the nvidia setting application?

PC

Beans

yes, and I tried many different settings in there, (I had the dual monitor set up with separate X session and couriously I noticed that in the second monitor everything works, compiz emerald and the dropdown menu just work, but on screen 0 there is no way, I also tried some script to solve a similar problem gutsy hed (slow menu visualization) but without luck.
    Let me know if you have some suggestion

Beans

I had a similar problem after upgrading from 7.10 to Hardy on my laptop last week. My problem isn't that I didn't get the drop downs but that they appeared and disappeared immediately. It has something to do with the mouse settings in the xorg.conf.

I commented out the section for the Synaptics Touchpad (I'm on a laptop) and then the left click started working as expected but of course I can no longer tweak my settings.

Unfortunately I haven't had much free time lately to experiment more to see if it's been fixed or narrow it down more.

Just thought it might be the same problem.

Good Luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you have an nVidia card then try using nVidia's TwinView rather than xinerama with separate x screens. I've found that TwinView works a lot better than using separate x screens.

Beans

thanks for reply, I did quite a mess, I just fresh reinstalled hardy since I could not find a solution, and after a long surch I found out that the old configuration of compiz was messing with the x session /home/.config/compiz (Ihad menu desappearing immediatly like wfroelih) now it's all working with the two separate session (had to add a script for sturtup compiz). Now, I just have to reinstall everything. (always a mess the dist upgrade)
    thanks anyway
    Last edited by gupi-gupi; April 26th, 2008 at 02:12 AM.