Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [TIP] TV-Viewer, GUI for Hauppauge PVR and other ivtv based TV cards.

Beans

[TIP] TV-Viewer, GUI for Hauppauge PVR and other ivtv based TV cards.

Hi,

so first of all I want to say hello. I am new to this forum. Normally I post in german forums so excuse my english.

I am developing a program called TV-Viewer. It is a small GUI to control TV Cards like the Hauppauge PVR 150 and others.
    The reason for me to start with this program was because standard applications like tvtime or kdetv do not support these devices. MythTV or Freevo are good programs but overkill for just wathing tv on your machine.

TV-Viewer is written in Tcl/Tk. It is an easy to use programming language which allows you to develop sophisticated programs and graphical user interfaces.
    One big advantage is that software based on Tcl/Tk nearly runs on every platform without big adaptions to the code. However TV-Viewer will only be developed for Linux.

So whats this all about?
    In generally you should know, that this is not a complete viewer for wathing tv on Linux. With the gui I am developing you can get rid of using a terminal with pvr devices and it provides some more advantages.
    Still you'll have to use one of the provided video players like MPlayer, Kaffeine, Vlc or Xine.

Features:
    • Easy to use gui to control your device.
    • Automatic installation (There are no packages for major distributions yet).
    • Configuration wizard for all relevant settings.
    • Simple configuration file for your channels. This can be applied by using an automatic channel search with the build in "channel editor". There you can activate or deactivate channels, rename them or change their order.
    • Volume control.
    • "On screen display", that shows the actual channel and the volume on your screen.
    • Videocard control (Hue, Saturation, Brightness and Contrast)
    • Support for your remote control using Lirc.
    • Build in user guide.
    • And many more

The most recent version of TV-Viewer is 0.7.5-1 which you can download here
    In order to use the program your system has to fullfill the minimum requirements.
    Please follow the installation instructions carefully!
    You want to see how TV-Viewer looks like? No problem just refer to the screenhots section.

Since this is my first release with different languages I wont post the changes from the last version here. They can be found in the news.
    I will keep you updated about new versions in this thread. News about future releases and the development stage can also be found on the homepage.

So I hope you'll like the program. If there are any questions please feel free to contact me or to post them here.

Regards
    Saedelaere

@Admin
    If there is a better location for this thread please place it there! Thanks
    Last edited by saedelaere; April 24th, 2008 at 07:56 PM.

Beans

Re: [TIP] TV-Viewer, GUI for Hauppauge PVR and other ivtv based TV cards.

Hi,

this is the first bugfix release for 0.7.5

Bugfixes:
    • Activation of "Increase Bitrate" in the "Configuration-Wizard" resulted in a serious bug. The main interface did not start anymore.
    • Automatic station search did not work on some systems because it was not possible to define the VBI device node. For that reason I added a corresponding option in the "Configuration-Wizard".
    • With Tcl/Tk 8.5 installed the font"DejaVu Sans Mono" could not be recognized though it is installed.

New features:
    • Update-Daemon and search for updates manually

The new version can be downloaded here.
    You may read the complete news here.
    In addition I enhanced the user guide in some sections with more informations about installation and usage of TV-Viewer.

Have fun with the new version

Saedelaere
    Last edited by saedelaere; May 29th, 2008 at 02:32 PM.
    TV-Viewer 0.8.x
    GUI for Hauppauge PVR and other ivtv based TV cards.
    sourceforge.net project site || Homepage
    Thread for discussions and announcements.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Re: [TIP] TV-Viewer, GUI for Hauppauge PVR and other ivtv based TV cards.

Great so far! I've got further than I had with any other package - I at least have the tuner working now with VLC, along with my VCR (to copy old VHS tapes onto DVD). The only remaining problem is that I have no sound!

Any ideas on how I can get the sound working too?

I too just want a simple programme like yourself, so I can watch TV in a small window whilst working, and to have a basic PVR function. I went the route of installing myth, ivtv, and every other package I could find. So far, this is the only one that I've even managed to get the stations tuned and have pictures - just the sound issue remains. Once that's fixed I shall be an extremely happy bunny and will finally probably be able to kick windows into touch permanently.

Cheers,
    Steve
    A wet porpoise is a happy porpoise!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

your sound issue might be fixed here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for the pointer. In the meantime, however, it's managed to sort itself out!?! After the fifth install it just worked! How bizarre is that? Anyway, thanks for your input. All I need to do know is to figure out how I can record the stream...

Cheers,
    Steve
    A wet porpoise is a happy porpoise!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: PVR-TV-Viewer, for Hauppauge TV cards.

Hi all,
    I read this post and think it is a great idea. I just want to add that SageTV has a version for Linux. It will allow you to watch tv, and record shows on the computer. I haven't tried the linux version yet, but I have been using the windoze version for 2 years. It really works well. As soon as I learn more about Ubuntu, and linux in general, I will try the linux version of SageTV. Oh, by the way, SageTV recommends hauppauge pvr 150 and other model tv cards. The remote control also works quite well. The support is great from SageTv, they usually answer email questions in 1 day. THey also have a forum like this one that is very helpful.
    Just thought you might want to know about the program.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for another great tv viewing option! I initially had trouble with the sound, but I followed wolfen69's link and got everything working. Looking forward to the record option!

EDIT: After a system reinstall I then reinstalled tv-viewer. I did not do anything to the sound and instead rebooted. After reboot the sound worked without any problems.
    Last edited by herteljt; July 2nd, 2008 at 04:55 PM.
    HD 1T SAMSUNG HD103SI, VGA SAPPHIRE HD4670, MB GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3, MEM 2Gx2 GSKILL, CPU INTEL I3 3.06G, QuickCam Communicate MP, Hauppauge PVR150

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i tried installing tv-viewer with no luck. it says command not found. any ideas? here's my terminal output:
    Code:
    happy@mythbuntu:~$ ls
    Desktop    fsv-0.9     level1.txt  Pictures  Shared     tv-viewer075-2
    Documents  Incomplete  Music       Public    Templates  Videos
    happy@mythbuntu:~$ cd tv-viewer075-2
    happy@mythbuntu:~/tv-viewer075-2$ ls
    install_data  tv-viewer_install.sh
    happy@mythbuntu:~/tv-viewer075-2$ tv-viewer_install.sh
    bash: tv-viewer_install.sh: command not found
    happy@mythbuntu:~/tv-viewer075-2$
    thanks.
    Last edited by HappyFeet; June 16th, 2008 at 05:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

thats what i get
    linux lubuntu machine dell dimension 4300s 1.6 p4 with 1gb of ram runnint peppermint3 compaq 2.5 p4 1gb of ram running peppermint3 dell optiplex 620 2.8 pentium d 2.5 gb of ram running linux mint 13 maya cinnamon desktop

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFeet View Post
    i tried installing tv-viewer with no luck. it says command not found. any ideas? here's my terminal output:
    Code:
    happy@mythbuntu:~$ ls
    Desktop    fsv-0.9     level1.txt  Pictures  Shared     tv-viewer075-2
    Documents  Incomplete  Music       Public    Templates  Videos
    happy@mythbuntu:~$ cd tv-viewer075-2
    happy@mythbuntu:~/tv-viewer075-2$ ls
    install_data  tv-viewer_install.sh
    happy@mythbuntu:~/tv-viewer075-2$ tv-viewer_install.sh
    bash: tv-viewer_install.sh: command not found
    happy@mythbuntu:~/tv-viewer075-2$
    thanks.
    Did you put a ./ in front of the script name? Your output doesn't have this.

./tv-viewer_install.sh
    Last edited by herteljt; June 16th, 2008 at 11:33 PM.
    HD 1T SAMSUNG HD103SI, VGA SAPPHIRE HD4670, MB GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3, MEM 2Gx2 GSKILL, CPU INTEL I3 3.06G, QuickCam Communicate MP, Hauppauge PVR150

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast