Thread: When starting my computer, it doesn't start gnome, just goes to terminal

Beans

When starting my computer, it doesn't start gnome, just goes to terminal

Hello,

Last night I turned off my ubuntu 7.10 machine, and went to have a comfortable night's sleep. This morning, I woke up and turned it on to start a day of work... and wooops!!! After loading the initial stages, ubuntu just doesn't go to gnome... it goes to the terminal and asks me for my username and password. I provide them, and it just stays in the terminal!

I am utterly confused... everything was perfect yesterday, and today... I just can access the terminal. I have restarted my machine many times already, and I just get to the same point.

What could be wrong?

And most importantly: how can I get back to where I was before...? How can I just login to my gnome session and work as I have been doing on a normal basis?

This is surprising, and kind of annoying to say the truth.

I had to start in windows, and I am writing from here... It's been ages since I last used windows... everything I have is in ubuntu... so please, if anyone can shed some light on this issue, it would be very grateful

Thank you for your kind support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: When starting my computer, it doesn't start gnome, just goes to terminal

What happens if you type in your terminal
    Code:
    startx
    does the GUI start or not?

And what happens if you, instead, press the three keys
    Code:
    CTRL+ALT+F7
    do you get your GUI?
    Last edited by Cannaregio; April 23rd, 2008 at 02:26 PM.
    Retire, miscreants, to your muddy billabongs and forget even passive attempts to educate windozian zombies: how can those of easy virtue, who simply stroll into a store and "buy" programs off the rack, compare to us?

Beans

1) I typed startx, and I get the following error:

Giving up
    xinit: connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
    xinit: no such process (errno 3): server error
    2) I held CTRL+ALT+F7 and nothing happens...

Is this serious? How can I get my GUI back to work?

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sounds like something was changed in your X configuration during last boot session, so when you rebooted, it took effect, but is non-functional. Have you set or removed any desktop effect options recently?
    Linux Genuine Advantage: I am licensed!

Spouting mindless hatred of all things Microsoft since... ummm... never.

Beans

Well... I hardly can think of something I changed: My screen resolution... However after I canged it, it was working perfectly. But I didn't change it yesterday, nor any time recently, probably a week ago at the soonest.

No desktop effects I have touched, for I prefer a better performance over apperiance. Now, is there a way in which I can reconfigure the X configuration?, or what should be done instead?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Well, you can manually browse and check for a backup xorg.conf file in your /etc/X11/ directory. It may have a .backup appended, or likely a tilde (~) if it was edited.

If a backup exists, and the problem was with your xorg.conf, then this will fix you right back up.

If you want to reconfigure yourself, sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg should get the process started.
    Linux Genuine Advantage: I am licensed!

Spouting mindless hatred of all things Microsoft since... ummm... never.