Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Why choose Ubuntu over Fedora?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Why choose Ubuntu over Fedora?

The people here are amazing and there is enough history that if you use some older hardware someone has already found a fix for you. Love going through the old posts.

Also, I can tell you that I have a number of friends who want to get into Linux and they are talking about Ubuntu. Not one of them has mentioned Fedora, not one....

Enjoy your decision.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyPappy View Post
    The people here are amazing and there is enough history that if you use some older hardware someone has already found a fix for you. Love going through the old posts.

Also, I can tell you that I have a number of friends who want to get into Linux and they are talking about Ubuntu. Not one of them has mentioned Fedora, not one....

Enjoy your decision.
    The only reason I don't recommend Fedora personally is I'm an old Debian fan. Not that there is anything wrong with Fedora, I just find Debian easier to use because of my additional experience using Debian.

Debian has its problems too, its just that I'm more comfortable dealing with them than I am with Fedora. oh, and additionally everytime I've had an opportunity to try a RH variant on the desktop I've had more issues configuring Hardware than I've had with Debian distros.

Beans

In defense of Fedora/Yum, F9 has a much improved package management experience in my opinion. They are now using PackageKit and it seems very nice. Still working out some of the bugs but it is much better than Pirut.

With that said, I still find myself booted into Ubuntu more than Fedora. That may change once Livna Repo's are online with F9 though.

Off topic but I am liking Foresight Linux also for a 'noob'. It has it's bugs that are being worked on but so far it seems to be a really nice distribution.
    Microsoft Vista | Ubuntu 8.10
    HP | DV6910US
    Ubuntu Registered User # 20970
    Linux Registered User # 449097

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I used to use fedora before ubuntu and just tried the upcoming fedora 9 live cd. Fedora looks more polished to me but ubuntu is easier to work with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu because of the size of the user community.
    Since there are so many people using Ubuntu any problem you encounter will have a solution.

Its that simple.
    It's all good!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Fedora have a pretty big community too...But I'd say that that distrowatch article is your most useful thing to look at. As well as live cds

Beans

Just a quick side point that I happen to love the little extras Fedora puts into the distro. Like a script to copy the LiveCD image (with persistence) onto a USBFlash device so you can boot/install Fedora onto machines without CD drives. That is a cool feature.

You can do the same with Ubuntu, but you need to do it manually.

Beans

Regarding the Fedora community, (community to me meaning forums, not Dev community) the forums are much less active but much easier to get answers and/or search for answers. The regulars on the forums are very helpful, considerate, etcetera and are very open to other distributions. I never see distro bashing (sometimes a bit of fun may be poked at Ubuntu) but it's definitely much better than some other user communities.

I have also noticed that a lot of the advanced users also use *buntu, Mint, openSuse, Mandriva, Debian, Arch, yada yada yada. Very diverse forum community is my point.

Landon
    Microsoft Vista | Ubuntu 8.10
    HP | DV6910US
    Ubuntu Registered User # 20970
    Linux Registered User # 449097

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've used RHEL/Fedora for years and you really should try it out for yourself. Ubuntu's main advantages are you can get it pre-installed on PCs and it's really easy for a newbie to pick up. That's the only reason I'm trying it out - want to be able to support my friends and family,

You'll hear lots of stuff about Ubuntu package management being better - personally I haven't found that, if anything it's much weaker. For example RHEL/Fedora have one place for managing packages with various ways to access it (GUI / cli etc) - however there is never any inconsistencies between them as it is the same repository you are accessing. On Ubuntu you can find that add/remove programs doesn't have things that Synaptic Package Manager does (e.g. Apache Server doesn't show up in Add/Remove).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Obviously for this massive community!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast