Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Why choose Ubuntu over Fedora?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Why choose Ubuntu over Fedora?

another reason to consider Ubuntu is Fedora, being a redhat based distribution is not going to get the attention anymore. RedHat has announced that though they will continue to work with fedora, they will focus their efforts and resources on their Server OS (RHEL). This will force the the major RH derivatives to pick up the slack and move forward on their own in the desktop market.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wow thanks for that Oldsoldier I didn't know that...I guess I'll have to watch Fedora 10 pretty closely to see what's different.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsoldier2003 View Post
    another reason to consider Ubuntu is Fedora, being a redhat based distribution is not going to get the attention anymore. RedHat has announced that though they will continue to work with fedora, they will focus their efforts and resources on their Server OS (RHEL). This will force the the major RH derivatives to pick up the slack and move forward on their own in the desktop market.
    Not entirely accurate. Fedora was started independently of Redhat (though based on Redhat). After some fighting, Redhat decided to bring Fedora under it's wings and allow it to be the free version of itself while it tries to sell the Enterprise edition under the Redhat brand.

So it isn't that Fedora is lacking in development or innovation, if anything, they are sometimes too progressive and deadly to lay customers. To old-school Linux hackers who can manage any issues that arise, this isn't a big deal..
    Registered Linux User #446796
    Registered Ubuntu User #13489

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

This is not really a very unbiased place to post this question. If you post this in an Ubuntu forum, of course you're going to get a bunch of people saying Ubuntu is better. If you posted this in the Fedora forum, I'm sure they'd all be trashing Ubuntu and saying Fedora is better.

They are both great distro's. And contrary to popular belief, the Fedora forums are at least almost as active and helpful as the Ubuntu forums.

As far as I can see, there are 2 main differences.
    1. The apt vs. rpm packaging system. Usually apt and deb's are considered more evolved than rpm's. But I don't think the "dependency hell" with rpm's and YUM is relevant anymore after advances that have been made.

2. Fedora is a lot more uptight about Free Software. If that's what you're after, then Fedora is great. But while Ubuntu is very Free Software minded, they make it much easier and more automated to get non-free stuff, like multimedia and driver support.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

I tried Fedora, but had issues with my Wireless card. Granted if I spent more than an hour with Fedora, I probably would have resolved it. But I do like that Ubuntu has the ndiswrapper on the LiveCD. Also, I had been using Ubuntu before trying Fedora, and Ubuntu works for me. From what I've heard, pretty much the best distro is the one you chose.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just to add.
    I used several versions of Linux for several years before I was led to Ubuntu. Trust me, I will NOT go back (Yes, I did use Fedora from it's inception.) Hardware recognition or "fixes" to get hardware working in Fedora were really spotty or did not work at all. (networking and video being two glaring examples!)

The forums for supposed help were, at least at the time I was using the system .. (up to ver. 8), were populated by UBER-GEEKS that looked down their snooty noses at ANY newbie with a "stupid" question.

Plus some of their "fixes" would crash the computer and even after reporting that the fix was bad, the fix would STAY in the posting area because of the "clique" atmosphere fostered there. I had several of their "big time/moderator" posters actually BLOCKED so I would not see their postings and rantings!

But the straw that broke the camels back was BOINC. The UC Berkeley service that sets up computer sharing for scientific research projects.
    They decided they would support Ubuntu and Debian ONLY with their install and update programs. You could still download and compile to use the system in other builds, but the procedure was difficult at times and not reliable .. plus you had to do it every time there was an upgrade.

Ubuntu has the BOINC system IN the package manager and updates come in on a regular basis!

I get the feeling that the crew at Ubuntu is serious about getting people weaned away from MS and it's phone home garbage and total bloat and unreliability and the MS culture of ignoring security.
    By making the system USER FRIENDLY, they are doing just that. The majority of people using computers do NOT want to be bothered by the nuts and bolts of a system. They want to be able to USE the computer for day in-day out activities. I have found that Ubuntu is the FIRST Linux system that makes that possible. So much so, that now the majority of my activities both on and off line are now done on Ubuntu machines with the Windows machines there ONLY for guests and to run the few things that still have no working parallel in Linux. (I dual machine .. not dual boot .. saves a LOT of grief .. and I pre-selected all the hardware to be used in the Linux machines based on reports of reliability from the forums and reports on Linux support from the manufacturers!)

Beans

Wink Re: Why choose Ubuntu over Fedora?

u shouldn't choose ubuntu over fedora, try and see how u feel on each one...of course, you'll choose ubuntu, but it has to be your choice.

Beans

If you are coming from Windows OS's Ubuntu is easier to grasp. Fedora would be a little harder.

But it also depends on your hardware. Fedora 8 worked with my laptop hardware very well, while Ubuntu 7.10 didn't support suspend/resume on my laptop, so I went with Fedora.
    Now that Ubuntu 8.04 is out, it now supports my laptop and logitech webcam a little better than the Fedora9 Preview, so I now have them both installed and will see which one I will pick in the long run. I love Fedora's forums too... just like this forum, you can learn a lot.
    Basically, try them both and see which one better supports your hardware.
    Also note that there are many distros out there besides, Ubuntu and Fedora. I would suggest you try openSUSE and Mandriva also.

Good Luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is what I said in the 2nd or 3rd post I also said that personally I prefer ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post
    I get the feeling that the crew at Ubuntu is serious about getting people weaned away from MS
    Damn right they are, it was Bug #1 to be reported in the Ubuntu project (with severity of critical)!
    "Python, the language that wraps itself around a problem to squeeze out a solution, swallowing it whole."
    Linux user number #14284
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast