Thread: Deteriorating wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unhappy Deteriorating wireless

Hi,
    I'm currently running Ubuntu Hardy RC that was released late last week. My wireless card is a broadcom 4318, so I'm used to having trouble with wireless in the past.
    This time however after my initial install of Ubuntu last Friday the wireless worked as soon as I checked the box under restricted drivers. I was ecstatic.
    However, since then the quality has been deteriorating. Where I was getting wireless in the kitchen a few days ago, I cannot today. It picks up that the network is present (at 80%), but it will not connect, whereas my housemate's macbook has no issues connecting at full speed whatsoever. It's silly, but I've noticed that lifting the laptop into the air or turning it on its side does sometimes give some connection, this isn't very practical though
    My network is protected by a WPA password system, but I'm certain it's not the problem as I'm having the exact same issues connecting to my college unsecured network (it simply never connects).
    I've tried both Network Manager and Wicd, both have brought up the same problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Deteriorating wireless

Quote Originally Posted by portach king View Post
    Hi,
    I'm currently running Ubuntu Hardy RC that was released late last week. My wireless card is a broadcom 4318, so I'm used to having trouble with wireless in the past.
    This time however after my initial install of Ubuntu last Friday the wireless worked as soon as I checked the box under restricted drivers. I was ecstatic.
    However, since then the quality has been deteriorating. Where I was getting wireless in the kitchen a few days ago, I cannot today. It picks up that the network is present (at 80%), but it will not connect, whereas my housemate's macbook has no issues connecting at full speed whatsoever. It's silly, but I've noticed that lifting the laptop into the air or turning it on its side does sometimes give some connection, this isn't very practical though
    My network is protected by a WPA password system, but I'm certain it's not the problem as I'm having the exact same issues connecting to my college unsecured network (it simply never connects).
    I've tried both Network Manager and Wicd, both have brought up the same problem.
    Please take a look at my earlier post in case it helps you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=4318

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't apply to me as I am using a fresh install of Hardy.
    I'm currently in college, sitting a few feet from a wireless router, my card picks up the several unprotected college networks in the area, but will not connect to any of them. Seems to simply stay on 'obtaining IP address" and then eventually stop trying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unless the wireless card is faulty, it's probably something in the configuration. I've had problems in the past with limited/no connectivity when the configuration is slightly off.

Have you tried working through step by step as per the thread at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=571188